What do you do with a kid that just doesn't require any sleep!

She goes to bed at 8 and is asleep by 9 but most mornings she is up at 3 and I have to put her back in her room. then she wakes up her brother at 4 or 5 and I have to put them both back ot bed then she is back up a 6 begging for breakfast. I talked to her ped ans she said that some kids just don't need that much sleep. But damn, the rest of the house does! I keep telling her to wake up go potty and play quietly in her room but it is not getting through. She runs up and down the hall goes in her brothers room and wakes me up. How can I get her to stay in her room between 3 and 6?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would put a gate up and teach her to stay in her room.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• How old is she? Would she go back to sleep if you let her get in bed with you? Can you put a gate in front of your son's room so she can't go in & disturb him? Does she take a nap later in the day? Maybe eliminating the nap if she does, would help. That would suck so bad, so you have my sympathies. Maybe you could ask her Dr. about a mild sleep aid or sedative that is non addictive & safe for children. While some kids require less sleep, most this age need about 10-12 hrs. GL!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• my oldest is this way, and has always been from birth. but the women in my family are light sleepers, so i guess i dont have room to complain. the other night i let her (she will be 6 in october) stay up til almost 11 and she was still up by 630! it takes her a while to fall asleep at night, then she wakes up atleast once during the night to use the bathroom and then is up at the crack of dawn. she does know though that she cannot wake her sisters up.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• She may not fully understand when she is able to leave her room. I know that there is something you can buy...kind of like an alarm clock, but not...that tells a kid that it is okay to leave your room now. Maybe one of the other moms here know more about it. You could get something like that and reward her when she stays in her room until whatever you have it set to.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• i have 3 kids,4yrs old,2 and 1...my other two can take naps and sleeps at night too...but my oldest one he wont take any naps and he doesnt seems to get easily tired or sleepy at night's.so i try to put them to bed @ 9 and they usually slept but keep waking up every hour or so...so i have to sleep in their bed's for them to sleep in.and the youngest slept in same room with me and my husband,so he sleep's trough the night.ones my 4 yrs old son open his eyes early he wont be able to go back to bed,he will try's to wake up both of the kids...sometimes i take them outside to play and keep them awake late so that they could sleep longer at night's..
    sinsele

Answer by sinsele at 7:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• My granddaughter is like that too... she's 8! She plays so hard during the day that she can go to sleep at 7! Then she's up at 5 or 6 every morning, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. There is no way to keep her up later, we tried. It's just her. The younger one, loves to sleep. However, they still give her a nap at daycare, so that makes it worse. She's actually gotten really good at just watching TV and staying quiet until every one else gets up.... Have you tried keeping her up later??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• My DD started waking up at the crack of dawn and playing in the hallway (it echos). I convinced her to play in her room quietly until I get up. I have a baby gate up and I have the lock on her door turned around. I have the gate closed so she can't roam the house and get into stuff while I am still asleep, but she as access to the bathroom. You have to find a solution that is going to work for your family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• Get her a clock and make a sign that she can match so she can see what time I ok to go out of her room.
    My oldest have never been a sleeper. He falls asleep late like 11:00 pm and might sleep until 7, but usually 6. And 5 am if he is nervous about an exam or project. Thankfully he's old enough to keep himself busy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2012

• with good luck and much patience from just reading your actual post. my son has been to a pediatric sleep clinic- after testing blood levels iron levels and melatonin trials ( which was pure HELL ) it came to - he just doesn't need that much sleep.. Nice right,. His MOMMY NEEDS 10 plus hours and a nap before he was born- he stopped napping totally 100% at 19 months, as an infant only took 3 20 minute naps MAYBE... I get ya mama.. its been hell, I am glad to say he came first - he is an only
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2012