An Atheist Mother's Promise

Not a question - I just thought this was beautiful and that even people who aren't atheist might appreciate it.

I promise that by example I will teach you kindness, justice, cooperation, respect and tolerance. Because morality is part of what it means to be a responsible member of society and the world.

I promise to help you see other people’s perspectives, consider their experiences and be tolerant of their differences. I’ll encourage you to see beyond the labels of good and evil to understand the complexity of human existence.

I promise that as you grow and as I get to know you, I’ll accept you for who you are rather than any preconceived notion of who you “should” be.

I promise to teach you that you’re an agent of change in your own life and in this world. You aren’t a victim of circumstance and you don’t need to wait for unseen forces to bring you miracles. You’re your own creator — of fulfillment, joy, love and peace.

Alongside science, history, philosophy and the arts, I promise to teach you about all religions and give you the intellectual freedom to wonder, question and come to your own conclusions. And if your conclusions are different from my own, as many inevitably will be, I promise to respect them.

I promise to tell you the truth as much as I know it. And encourage a lifetime of curiosity, questioning and exploration in pursuit of more knowledge and your own truth.

I promise to show you that this moment right here is all the heaven we need. This life is our gift and our purpose. It’s our opportunity to live richly and to make lasting and meaningful change for society and humanity.

And in guiding you through life, I promise to talk to you about death — as much as I understand it — without euphemisms or fables, but as a natural part of this complex and enduring world. And I’ll talk to you about how brief a time we have in a world that existed before us and that will exist far after we depart.

I promise to love you fiercely, honestly and courageously.

http://parentingbeyondbelief.com/parents/?p=505

ABeaverhausen

Asked by ABeaverhausen at 8:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• That was beautiful!!! if only all mothers did this much!

Answer by older at 8:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• I thought so too! I think a lot of people are afraid to click on the post because of the title. lol
    ABeaverhausen

Comment by ABeaverhausen (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• I promise to love you fiercely, honestly and courageously.

I call this ^^ unconditional love.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• Of course....this is how I raise my kids.

I do believe that most people want to raise their kids like this to a certain extent. I don't think it's exclusive to atheists persay.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• Beautiful. That's been my working plan so far.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• I didn't say it was exclusive to atheists. That was the title written by the author... who happens to be an atheist.
    ABeaverhausen

Comment by ABeaverhausen (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• Thanks for sharing!
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

*****************************************************
    Oh I wasn't implying YOU said that. It was just something I felt when I was replying. No offense meant;)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2012

• Very nice.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2012

• I like that ... going to share it over on FB. Thanks for sharing. =)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2012