c-section question

i had a c section with my first baby after 28 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing (he was just too big! 10lbs and apparently i have a tipped pelvis, nice to find out during labor!) i am really hoping to have a vbac with this baby (im pregnant again by the way) but my first son is only 11 1/2 months old and im due in august, and the dr said i could only have one if we thought this baby is smaller than he was. i am so scared to have another c section! what was it like to have a second c section for any of you ladies? is it worse than the first? do they have to knock you out? does the scar turn lumpier? ugh...

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 6:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hi there,
    I only had 1 C section but I wanna warn u about pushing after having one. Please be sure to get a second professional opinion if u should have a natural birth!
    julie449

Answer by julie449 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• No change. I've had 3 Csections --- 2 of those less than 13 mos apart. They're all pretty much the same (unless you're having your tubes tied at the same time -- now THAT does make a difference).

Be very careful when opting for a VBAC. It wasn't even an option for me since my middle boys were so close together --- and a good thing, too. When they got me opened up, they found I'd already ruptured on my previous uterine incision. I'd been in full labor & didn't know it --- couldn't feel the contractions & couldn't feel the rupture because of all the scar tissue from the first section.

As far as "having to be" knocked out --- I can't help you much on that one. I CHOSE to be knocked out for all of mine.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I only have one child and he was delivered through c-section( my cervix didn't dialate past 7 cm). I can only tell you that I had no problems what-so-ever as far as pain afterwards. I took ibuprophren and perkacets(however you spell it) and never felt pain.
    My only concern was that is was
    1. an emergecny c-section(scary)
    2. morphine made me shake and I had blurry vision during the procedure.
    3. It did feel funny the first time I stood up.

My sis-in-law just had her second c-section and NO complications and because it was scheduled and everything - said it went real smooth.
    I don't know about the scar or anything though. She was even driving a week after she left the hospital with no pain.
    mom4mason

Answer by mom4mason at 6:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• O..I forgot. Both my sis-n-law and myself were numbed from the waist down so we were awake.
    mom4mason

Answer by mom4mason at 6:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My first c-section was way worse than my second b/c like you, I went through labor, 38 hrs... So it made the recovery hard. The second time was much less painful in all aspects
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I opted for a C-section the second time around. I wanted to try for a VBAC, but my pelvis is too narrow. Besides that, I was in labor for 19 1/2 hours with my first before needing an emergency C-section (I started to show signs of infection), and couldn't see myself going that route again.

I'm glad I did...because my second was bigger than my first, so there's no way I would've been able to push her out.

My second C-section was easier than my first. Less painful, because I knew what to expect, plus I got EXCELLENT painkillers. My scar looks about the same...my OB actually cut away my old scar, instead of cutting in a new place or on top of the old one. So I have one very teeny tiny extremely thin small scar.
    My babies were small by normal standards, so my scar is only about as long as my thumb.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• im going on my 5th c section and no they dont knock u out for the 2nd one (i had to have an emergency c section the first time also and they knocked me out for that one) and no the scar is the same and recovery is the same- its the 3rd and the 4th and the 5th that get scary lol not because things go wrong- its because u know wuts gonna happen and everything u feel ur like ok no theyre opening my uterus now theyre pushing the head out now theyre doing this- lol its nerve racking and also ur most likely still gonna be awake when they do ur enema which can be embarassing- unless theyve already done the morphine bollus (i think thats how its spelled) cause that will have u so loopy ull probably laugh at the ungodly sounds coming from ur behind- lol!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I had an emergency c-section with my first and ended up in icu afterwards so by the time they let me move around (almost 2 days later) I was in severe pain. My second c-section was a breeze compared to the first. I was wide awake, had a spinal block. I was up and walking within 8 hours (as soon as my morphine wore off). Good luck!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 11:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009