What's a fair preschool learning curve?

Should I be concerned? - my daughter is attending a private christian preschool and I received an update on her learning curve. It seems the teacher believes she is behind on her cutting, recognizing letters/numbers, and writing her name. Now, I know that private schools have a strong curriculum, but is it such a bad thing that she's behind the other students?

I never had my son in preschool and kindergarten through 2nd grade was really tough on him... I don't want to follow that same path with my daughter. She is very bright and I feel she is doing well, is her 20 year old teacher right?

sugrgirl

Asked by sugrgirl at 6:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't stress on it too bad. it's just like potty training and even when they learn how to talk. they do it on their own pace you know. and i know it's hard not to be concerned so if it helps i went through the same stuff with my 4 year old and finally i just went and got her those learning leap frog lap tops and had her start "playing" on those when in fact she was learning the whole time and didn't even realize it. and once she started picking up on it all there was no stopping her lol. Now she is 4 with the education level of a 6 year old. good luck
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 6:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Just give her lots of time at home to practice those things. Here is a site with info on what children should be able to do in each grade level (nationally).

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Make sure any practice you do at home is fun. Remember, this is not just the academic foundation for the rest of her schooling. This is the TOTAL foundation. If she doesn't enjoy it, if she doesn't have fun, she will hate school long before she leaves grade school. Teachers are finding that kids who are pushed burn out by 3rd grade. Then what do their parents do to try to force them through 9 more years, not including college? And in case you are interested, teachers used to see burn out in junior high, not mid grade school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• OMG. It is preschool. Read the book...Better Late than Early. No her teacher is NOT right. If you are concerned have her evaluated by an OT for developmental delays. I personally think we are putting too much on these little ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• These days every grade level has been bumped up a level. Children are learning in preschool what we used to teach in Kindergarten. Many preschools have a curriculum that is so advanced that it is not developmentally appropriate. Look into the websight suggested above and see were it says she should be. If she is really far off then you may want to see about getting her tested. You did not mention your daughters age. If she is still three then I would not expect her to have mastered the skills you mentioned. If she is four, then she probably will master them BEFORE she goes to Kindergarten. It used to be that knowing your letters was EXIT criteria for Kindergarten( you learned those skills while in Kindergarten) In some school systems Also, when looking at a preschool program, do they do worksheets constantly? Children learn by doing hands on, fun, play activities.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I taught preschool and I would suggest that before you try anything drastic you go ask the teacher why she is saying this.
    If you see that she is having trouble cutting, I would suggest that you let her have some scissors, while you are supervising, and let her make a "card" or "picture" that needs to be cut out. Check to see if she is holing scissors correctly- it is a developmental skill that is learned. Some teachers forget this. After you let her free cut try drawing a straight line and see if she can follow along that then move on to a curved line. I don't recomend that you do this all at once since she will get frustrated. (so would I)
    As for the learning letters just point them out to her as you are doing daily things. Like when you are at a stop sign have her look and see that the word starts with a "s" One other thing that is easy to do is to put signs on things at home so she can see words and letters there.
    jordiegirl

Answer by jordiegirl at 11:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009