To Charge or not to Charge?

Here in N.C., a Father leaves his 8 month old baby in the bathtub with his 2 year old for "approx 8 minutes" while he watches a movie with friends. He returns to find the baby underwater. The baby is dead.

The detectives say there is "No evidence of malicious neglect or child endangerment", and no charges have yet been filed.

My friends and I are having a disagreement about this. They are saying that this is a "mistake" this poor man will have to live with the rest of his life and he should not be charged, as he will suffer enough.

I say that there is no way (having an older child) that he could never have heard the rule about never leaving a child unsupervised in a tub (never mind TWO children), and that, at minimum, child endangerment charges should be filed.

They have started filing manslaughter charges in this state against people who "accidentally" leave their kids in hot cars. Why not for this?

Opinions???
<

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry, the baby was 7 months old, not 8 months old.

By the way, if we let him get away with this, won't other people think this is a good way to kill their children without doing time. Like the hot car thing??

""Ooops, it was an accident, I didn't mean to do it, I swear, wink wink???""

I don't like it.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes he should be charged. Any smart parent knows you don't leave a child in the tub unattended. What a dumbass this guy is.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i agree with you. common sense should have told this man that if the movie was that important he couldnt miss it, then he should have waited on the baths. a 2 year old shouldnt be getting a bath by themselves let alone a 2 year old and a 7 month old. what is with parents these days?
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I also doubt it was "8 minutes!" Likely it was MUCH longer. Who says I left my children alone for 8 minutes?! You're likely to say a minute or two, 5 or 10, etc... Sounds like "lawyer-speak" to me!

CHARGE HIM!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes he should be charged.. even if he was stupid and didn't know this would not happen, it will help others learn from it. That's two fathers that have done this in a month by the way. I believe the other one was in buffalo.. will post back later.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• http://www.buffalonews.com/nationalworld/state/story/552690.html
    sorry it was a woman. but here is the story.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• charge her
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yes, I think he should be charged. It is definitely 'malicious neglect' to leave a baby unattended in a bathtub. Anyone with any sense of logic should know that this is a tragedy waiting to happen. The infant was left in such a dangerous situation that he or she DIED... how is it not child endangerment to live the child in such a dangerous situation that death results?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes- he should be charged. Its child endangerment in my book.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yes he should be charged!!!!!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 8:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2009