• In the Spotlight:

How much should a 2 month old baby sleep?

My 9 week old son has been awake ALL DAY. He woke up at 9 this morning and is still up at 7pm. Is this normal? He seems tired, but whenever he falls asleep he ends up waking a few minutes later or immediately because I lay him down. He's been fed and had a clean diaper and gotten his gas medicine, but won't go to sleep! HELP!!! I've even tried giving him cereal!

K_Coleman

Asked by K_Coleman at 7:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the child. I think they sleep 16 hours a day. I remember my kids slept more then anything else at that age.
    Skylene

Answer by Skylene at 7:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• oooh don't give cereal again. Not good for him at all.... he is way too young.
    Maybe go for a drive and see if he will go to sleep in the car. Or just hold him so he sleeps longer. He probably is overtired at this point which for some reason makes them sleep LESS! Weird!
    And those few minute naps (I call power naps) sometimes give them enough energy to keep going and going.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Some days my 10 week old will stay up all day with just a few power naps and others she wants to sleep all day. But no matter what she still sleeps good at night so I think it just depends on the baby and there mood.
    mkmama3130

Answer by mkmama3130 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009