what is it like to have a total hysterectomy...and what will i be looking forward to going through afterwards

sillyphylli

Asked by sillyphylli at 7:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

• I know a few people that have had this. my mother did. She was in alot of pain for a while but at least you wont have your period anymore.
    Anonymous

• There are several facters that will change the answers a lot. "total' refers to taking the ovaries too. If they don't put you on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) you will be thrown immediately into menopause. I can tell you it is no picnic. Hot flashes, nightsweats, moodswings from hell...kinda like being pregnant x10..but y9ou don't get to be done with it in 9 months. Another thing that will make a big difference is how they do the surgery. If they go in abdominally it takes longer to heal and be pain free. If they can do it vaginally the recovery time is reatly reduced.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i am having it done laporscopically. and yes they are keeping my overies in place....
    sillyphylli

Answer by sillyphylli at 10:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2009