Why is this happening?!?!? SOOOO FRUSTRATED!!!

I'm on a very restricted diet, I'm very active. I work out 5-6 times a week, and my weight hasn't budged. It's actually gone up. I've seemed to have hit a plateau and I'm out of ideas. I have no sugar or salt an have restricted carbs out of my diet as well. What to do?
Do I keep up my diet plan or do I step up my workouts?
PLEASE only mom's with this kind of expirience to answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• As you lose fat you gain lean tissue, and lean tissue weighs more. I suspect that you have firmed up some already. :)

Answer by Bmat at 7:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I took a couple PE classes in college. It is because your body has adapted to your workout. You need to step up your workout or change up your routine. A good way to do this is by doing wind sprints. When you're doing cardio, do spurts that are more intense, then let your body recover. Do it again, etc.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• And Bmat is right....muscle weighs more, so that could be why your "weight" is increasing
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• This might seem counter-intuitive, but are you eating enough? Try six small, balanced meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism up. What kind of workouts are you doing? Any resistance training? Interval training for cardio and weights can really kick things up a notch.

Try not to get frustrated by a number on the scale. Don't even step on it. Go by how you are feeling and how your clothes are fitting. Don't let a plateau trick you into thinking things aren't helping. They are. Keep at it!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• How much weight "gain" is normal?
    Anonymous

• Normal is relative. It depends on where you are starting from.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• 1200 calories a day is the lowest amount of calories that you should consume in a day. If you are eating less than that, you are going to end up starving yourself and your body will hold onto everything you put into it. Please remember that carbs are necessary for brain function as well. Don't cut them all out. You will end up groggy and unable to focus. It's not safe. Start doing more cardio and less weights. That will jump start the calories burning and won't add as much muscle. Work on your thighs and butt as well. They are the biggest muscles in your body, so the stronger they are, the more calories you burn.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 12:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Sometimes if you dont eat enough,you wont lose weight. Seem strange,but its true. Your body needs so much nutrition and it feeds off itself if it doesnt get it. Try stepping up your workouts a bit,and try measuring yourself instead of weighing. Sometimes the results show there first and its just as good. After all,if you lose inches,your clothes fit better :) Try it!
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Take your measurements and track those as well as your weight. A month after doing circuit training 3x per week, I had gained 2 lbs. But when I took my measurements again, I had lost a total of 21 inches.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009