How do you know if your baby has a birth defect?

Is it possible to have signs of a baby that might have a birth defect or down syndrome WITH OUT taking medical tests?

Would there be a difference in movent inside the mothers belly? Would there be something in the woman's urine or the babies heart beat?

or is the only way to tell if he/she will when the baby is born or by medical tests?

im just curious..im not worried if my baby will have that...ill love her no matter what...just..its something to think about...

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 7:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no just threw tests until they are born
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• from what I have heard, no. You need tests to be able to tell.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my baby is very active..im 29 weeks and she never stops moving! shes been kicking my ribs lately...doesnt hurt really..just feels weird....
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 7:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My brother has downs syndrome and my mom said that with him there was a definite decrease in the amount he moved relative to me and my other brother. That being said, there are perfectly normal babies who happen to be very laid back and don't move very much. The only way to be sure is through testing.
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my doctor sent me to a genetic specialist to get a u/s to look for physical signs.
    with down syndrome babies sometimes in u/s you can see cleft chin and other defects.
    try not to worry too much.
    mommy2be32509

Answer by mommy2be32509 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009