Has anyone else heard about this? Florida Covered Up the Worst Tuberculosis Outbreak in 20 Years

What happens if you're facing the worst tuberculosis outbreak the CDC has seen in 20 years? If you're Florida Governor Rick Scott, it involved covering up or ignoring the fact, signing laws shrinking the state's Department of Health, and shutting down the hospital where TB cases had been treated for the past 60 years. "It was early February when Duval County Health Department officials felt so overwhelmed by the sudden spike in tuberculosis that they asked the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to become involved," reports Stacey Singer for the Palm Beach Post. "Believing the outbreak affected only their underclass, the health officials made a conscious decision not to not tell the public, repeating a decision they had made in 2008, when the same strain had appeared in an assisted living home for people with schizophrenia."

And it gets worse. The CDC issued a warning that tuberculosis was linked to 13 deaths, and 99 illnesses in the state and over 3,000 exposed in homeless shelters in the Jacksonville metropolitan area. Those scary statistics aren't the beginning of the bad, this is: That report was unseen by lawmakers and came out "exactly nine days after Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed the bill that shrank the Department of Health and required the closure of the A.G. Holley State Hospital in Lantana, where tough tuberculosis cases have been treated for more than 60 years," reports Singer, who adds that the hospital, which is one of the four tuberculosis hospitals left in the country and the only one in Florida, was closed six months early on July 2. Essentially, those calling for the closure of the TB hospital had no idea there was a TB outbreak.

And in a final turn of the knife, it seems like cutting costs here may backfire. According to the Palm Beach Post, it may cost up to $500 per patient to treat, and $275,000 per drug-resistant strain, adding "Yet only 253 people had been found and evaluated for TB infection, meaning Florida’s outbreak was, and is, far from contained."

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-outbreak-prompts-ugandans-stop-kissing-191648320--abc-news-topstories.html

I haven't heard about this at all. Maybe I just haven't been paying atention, but holy crap that's crazy.

Hollyhock.

Asked by Hollyhock. at 12:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope but I have been vaccinated
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Their underclass. That's jacked up.

We're facing outbreaks of contagious diseases that were once virtually wiped out in America. I had whooping cough (pertussis) while working on a college campus in 2003; it was horrific. Many international students there bitched about having to be vaccinated for more diseases than the American students. Boo hoo, they came from places where those diseases were common. I coughed and struggled to breathe for more than three months. "Whooping cough" is named for the gasping, sucking sound you make as you fight for air. I cracked three ribs and pulled an abdominal muscle from coughing so hard. As a healthy adult I survive, but I could see how a cough like that would tear an elderly person or a baby apart. Same with tuberculosis. I know the word "vaccination" is taboo lately, but I believe we'll se death tolls from preventable diseases rise dramatically if we neglect immunizations.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I hadn't heard anything at all about this! But I am sure that we will see more of this kind of thing happening. There are a couple of other diseases that are making a comeback in recent years, but I can't remember what they are right now. I think whooping cough is one of them.

Kind of scary, when you stop and think about it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I live in Fl and haven't heard about this. What is strange is that the person giving the info in the article is in PBC and the outbreak is in Duval....they are on opposite ends of the frickin state.

Dardanella....I didn't know there was a vaccine for TB. The only thing I know of is a TB test. I have been exposed and have NO symptoms. They wanted me to take the drugs for a disease I had no symptoms of. They have sever side effects and you have to take them for 12 mos. Even if you have NO symptoms they want you on these medications. When I walked into the health dept. with a mask on I was looked at like I was crazy. I was walking into a TB clinic with people around me with active TB. If I didn't have it before I went in I sure would when I left.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:43 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Where is it coming from? If it was virtually wiped out in the U.S., then how is it being reintroduced? Any theories on that?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I don't know. I've been looking online trying to find something, but people seem to care more about this guy covering it up than they do about the actual outbreak.

29again- I think there has also been a rise in measels cases.
    Hollyhock.

Comment by Hollyhock. (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Whooping cough (pertussis) is one of the diseases that is coming back after being all but wiped out by vaccines. There have already been over 1800 documented cases of whooping cough in Colorado this year. Thank God, I had it once and can't get it again. Measles and tuberculosis are also on the rise. From what I've managed to find out, there are two reasons why these diseases are making a comeback. One is that unvaccinated people come to America from all over the world. Florida has a large immigrant population, as do Colorado, Texas, New York, California, and college campuses across the country. The other thing is, parents aren't getting their children immunized. I know there are concerns about the vaccines, but parents depend on the fact that everyone else will immunize their kids, and frankly, everyon else isn't doing it, either.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• We'll see more of this happening if we don't get our illegal population under control, as well as insist that foreign students and visitors be vaccinated long enough before they enter the US for the vaccine to become viable. I could care less about measles and chicken pox, but pertussis and diphtheria are nasty bugs the human population can do without. Same goes for TB.

I see how often there are food recalls because of listeria, E Coli, etc. Well, the people picking all that produce are likely NOT vaccinated with dpt or most other vaccines. It may not be pc to mention that, but it's one of those elephants in the room things that people really need to think about, especially if they are defending illegals. The article mentions it, but fails to clarify that most of our immigrants are not legal.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• The president of Uganda is calling on people in the East African country to avoid physical contact, including handshaking and kissing, to prevent the spread of the deadly and highly contagious Ebola virus that is believed to have killed 14 people in the last few weeks.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2012