bird

How can I convince my husband to let me trade my hamster for a bird? He feels that I shouldn't be getting bored with my animals.

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Animals are not disposable amusment for people. I agree with your DH, you shouldn't be 'getting bored'/ of an animal. When you take on a pet, you should treat it as though it were a child, because in a sense it is. What if you got bored or frustrated with a child, would you just trade him in?

Also, I wouldn't trust a child to take care of an animal anyway, as many times even the adults who supervise don't do it well. Did you take into consideration that birds are TONS of work? Or that they scream, destroy just about everything they get ahold of, make tones of messes and need LOTS of attention? Birds can be wonderful for the right person, that person who really understands them.

It's because of people like you that people like me spend so much time, money and effort rescuing and rehoming unwanted pets simply because someone didn't want them.
    Anonymous

• I didn't know you could trade. Where do you shop? The 2nd hand animal store? hehe. Just kidding. How do you trade though?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• What I mean is give the hamster to the neighbor boy who has been begging me for him and go down and buy a bird. Lol. Good point though.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Well a bird imo is more fun than a hamster anytime. Birds sing, talk, give kisses , more social. Tell hubby your not borde just need someone who you can talk to that talks back when you need a friend.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 8:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yay! Now I know why hubby wouldn't let me have a bird. He just brought me home a kitten!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i say stick with the hamster- birds can backfire- especially parrots.
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 11:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Umm what kind of bird did you want? They are like 10x the work of a hamster. A hamster you can fill its water bottle and food bowl and leave it all day sometimes more and its fine. A bird you need to change the water bowl when ever its dirty. Most birds are loud even the smallest ones. I have an african grey, white eyed conure, and green cheak conure and they are all loud. I had a love bird but omg he was the loudest of them all. Its in birds nature to call to the flock and you will become the flock. I would do lots of research on what kind of bird you want. Some need hours of out of cage time aday.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 2:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I had wanted a parakeet and I have had them in the past but my husband just brought me home a kitten so I think we are good.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2009