Should Micheal Phelps be charged criminally for smoking pot?

I was just watching the news and it said that the sherrif of the town where it happened is considering pressing charges on him, for smoking pot, which honestly I think that they should to set an example, weather its right or wrong to do so what impression does it leave if he gets away with it scott free?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • I think if they would have caught him in the act why yes of course he should be punished just as anyone else would be. However they are going based off a picture and even if they got ppl to say yes it was pot in there well i'm sorry hold on let me find that picture of the ppl that know it was pot in it also smoking. You can't go off of that at all when it comes to drug charges there needs to be hard concrete evidence.
    o0gone0o

Answer by o0gone0o at 8:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Sorry but does anyone really care? I think it is funny!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• well then arrest Bill Clinton too because he said he did.......It is stupid!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• they can't prove its pot in that pipe. and no, I don't think they should waste tax-payer money chasing their tails trying to make an axample out of a stupid law. maybe if he was punching a baby or shooting kittens - but not tokin a bong - I mean really
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 7:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't think they should press charges, it it something that ALOT of people expierement with generally at some point in their life. The sheriff is probably doing that to get some publicity. Besides it's just a picture, who can prove theres pot in there? I mean obviously it is, but i would think if he pressed charges i'm not sure they could base it off of a picture. it's just ridiculous.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes she should! if us norm ppl were caught we would get charged. take some of his medals away too!
    Anonymous

• arrest bush he is a coke head!
    Anonymous

• I think everyone would agree that Phelps is an example of someone with incredible discipline and work ethic who just made a stupid mistake.

Was it wrong? YES - but the opportunity now exists for parents to say "Look, even Phelps screws up and is sorry for it" not to put him in jail.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• but seriously if anyone of us had gotten caught doing the same thing we would get in trouble for it why should he be different? and also he admitted to it and apologized for it but I still think he should have to do community service or something
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It's done and over with. Move on. You'd think that a sheriff would have more important things to do.
    Isa0524

Answer by Isa0524 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009