Stupid decision?

I gave my work a 2 week notice. I don't know if it was a good choice or not. So can you help me?

I know the economy is bad. But as of right now I don't have bills to pay or anything. My job was too far (20min to get there). Drama like a bitch. This girl is trying to get me fired. I figured quitting would look better than getting fired. I'm planning a wedding. I'm going back to school. And I have a daughter to take care of.
Was it a good decision?? I'm going to start looking for a job closer and more flexible.

DeathBat

Asked by DeathBat at 8:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• everyone talks about there is no jobs wihich just isnt true.. been thinking about it myself
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 8:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• well i mean there is less but still gonna be able to find something im sure...
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 8:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It's your decision. Though I would kill to only drive 20 minutes to work. I drive 45 min to an hour depending on traffic.
    Anonymous

• Generally it's best not to quit your job before you have another one lined up. All jobs have drama to one degree or another, what makes it more tolerable is not to get involved in it. My last job (before having 2 babies close together and deciding to become a SAHM) was filled with drama. But it was other people's drama and I didn't let them come to me to talk about it. If you are second guessing your decision to leave, you need to ask if you can take it back tomorrow. They may not let you recind, but they might. Then you can look for another job, while you still have one. Plus if you are planning a wedding, don't you need some money to pay for it? Try not to be to impulsive.....
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• 20 minutes sounds good to me.
    With the economy I'd be extra careful about leaving a job and making sure I had another lined up. With a job comes benefits, maybe, such as health care.
    On the other hand you have a lot on your plate, and I wish you well. Don't second guess, what is done is done. Keep looking forward and do the best that you can.

Answer by Bmat at 8:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think 20 minutes to drive to a Subway is too much. I think you made a fine decision, just keep looking, and be persistent if you find something you like. I applied at least 5 times at my library before I even got one interview! Then I bombed that and applied two more times for jobs before I was hired. I think they get sick of you after awhile!!
    Michele79

Answer by Michele79 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think in this economy, I would've lined up something else before quitting. But that's just me.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• blessedmommy64 I agree. Even the rich are struggling and you never know where life will take you. Best to always have a plan. BUT I see your point too. It is better to quit then get fired.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 9:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i have money already for a wedding. but yes, i'm glad some ONE got my point across. lol
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 12:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The Bible says to stay home and raise your kids yourself. And as a stay at home mom I say that its worth it to stay home and care for my child and have less in life. You don't need a new car to be happy you just need time spent with your kid. If your getting married tell your future husband you want to stay home. He should support you. Thats the way its supposed to be. But when she gets in school you'll be able to go back to work. Just think of it as an extended break.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009