Anyone here familiar with IFB churches? First baptist church of Hammond IN or Hyles Anderson College in particular **EDIT

Have you heard the latest on what is going on with them? Sadly I'm not surprised. My dad went to that college so my family was members of that church for a while. Its awful the way they can brainwash you into thinking that everything that goes on there is normal. I don't know how the pastors and leaders of these churches live with themselves. Ugh! Glad to be out of that mess. I really believe that they are a huge cult.

Edit below.. found this kind of explains things a little bit.

"Jack Hyles “affair” is well documented.
My dad was had just received a honorary doctorate from Jack Hyles shortly before Jack was accused of adultery. Our Christian school principal was a graduate of Hyles. The principal essentially told all the parents and teachers, “even if he’s guilty, I’d rather keep my follow Hyles because at other churches the women wear pants.”

Google is your friend, use it.

Jack’s son, Dave Hyles is famous for his perversions that his daddy attempted to help cover up.
Dave Hyles used to scream until his face went purple when I was teenager. Dave used to travel around the country and hold youth rallies where he would scream: “BE PURE! BE PURE!!!” I was a teen then but I always knew there was something ungodly in his rage.

Not too long after that, they found a suitcase in a dumpster in a church parking lot containing pictures of Dave Hyles and a woman (not his wife), both very much in the nude and in compromising positions. Of course Dave wasn’t removed from the ministry, just moved to a different church in a galaxy far far away. (Texas)

Then David Hyles was kicked out of that church for running around with lots of women. 19 to be exact!!

David Hyles ran off to Indiana with Brenda Stevens. (One of the women who was in those photographs with Dave Hyles found in that suitcase above.) Brenda Stevens had a young son, named Brent.

In late 1985, 15-month-old Brent was found dead in his crib. David Hyles, who had been alone with the child, claimed he found him not breathing, and called police. In reality Dave called his father Jack Hyles first. Jack Hyles was on the scene long before the police were called.
A coroner’s inquest into Brent’s death Dave Hyles exercised his Fifth Amendment rights. Brenda Stevens— the baby’s mother didn’t even attend the coroner’s inquest into the death of her own 15 month old son.

At this inquest, it was revealed the investigation was thwarted because the little boy had been embalmed and buried the very next day— Jack officiated, The boy was buried before a proper autopsy could be performed.
The little 15 month old had nine different broken bones in different stages of healing.
The case remains open to this day.

Was Dave Hyles banned from the ministry even after all the above? Oh no. In the 1990′s Dave moved by daddy where Dave taught Sunday school at a Pinellas Park Baptist Church in Florida. He was kicked out of that church because of adultery.
Dave Hyles was then thrown out of the next church he attended (Berean Baptist Church in Orange Park, Florida), for “sexual misconduct” with three different women. One of those 3 women was the church secretary Joyce Phaneuf, who was arrested for prostitution in 2003. Joyce Phaneuf, her mug shot and arrest report — which notes the tattoo on her right-upper thigh, reading “David’s Girl.” 
After all this, Dave Hyles finally married Brenda Stevens and the two had their own son who they named Jack David. In March 1999, Brenda Stevens said little 5 year old Jack David must have fallen out of her car, she didn’t know it, and she ran over her own son with her own car–killing him.

The last story I was there at the church and it really may have been an accident. It just with ast history its hard to beleive it was. So much has happened with this family and still people worshp them...unreal.

Again this stuff probably wont mean much to you if you don't know anything about the church or ther pastors.

LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Asked by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 11:03 AM on Aug. 1, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Never heard of them.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• what is going on? any newstories or links?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Ill find you some links if I can.......Its years and years of affairs and stuff that they have managed to cover up. The latest is Jack Schaap (the pastor of the church) forgot his phone under the pulpit (I think that was where it was found) and a 17 year old girl who had been sexually abused that he was counseling had sent him a nude photo. They also found lots of other nude photos of her as well. Anyway he was fired and he fled the state. The FBI is involved now ad tonight at their church they are going to try to explain it away.
    To anyone who doesn't really know anything about them then this wont mean much. Jack Hyles his FIL was accused of having many affairs during his ministry as well as covering up for his son when they found David hyles son dead in his crib.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Comment by LoViNmYbAbIeSs (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Jack Hyles-Late former pastor of First baptist church of Hammond IN
    Jack Schaap- Jack Hyles son in law and is now the former pastor of First baptist
    David Hyles- Jack Hyles son..the guy that probably killed his wifes baby.

Be back in a little bit with links
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Comment by LoViNmYbAbIeSs (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-822979
    http://www.jeriwho.net/whofic/chocnot.htm

There is a couple links. Its really hard to explain it all to someone who hasn't heard anything cause there is SO much to explain but ill try to look for better info that kinda has everything in it if you are interested.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Comment by LoViNmYbAbIeSs (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Born and raised in Hammond and this does not surprise me with the Hylsies as we called them. It's like a cult. I remember a lot of downtown Hammond was tore down to build the church. The Hylsies or HBC used to come up to Great Lakes and have a student sponsor them on base and then they would talk the students into going down to Hammond with all these pretenses of football, movies, etc.

Think Hammond my friends..Think Hammond.

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• i have a friend whose parents are IFB...and the stories she has told me! so this doesnt surprise me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• "You'll know them by their fruits". These men were behaving in a way contrary to the faith they professed. I would have been out the door, shaking the dust off my sandals.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I know this is hella old but Joyce Phaneuf is my ex mother in law lol
    mamamissy23

Answer by mamamissy23 at 3:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2014