Starting today....

Obama care states that insurances will have to supply breastfeed supports, such as breast pumps. My question is, how do I go about this? I called my insurance (cigna), but they said they didn't know what I was talking about and they weren't sure they were required to help me since I am now on COBRA ,... (Really?? c'mon now...) Did I get stuck in a loophole?TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2012 in Money & Work

• Call the benefits office of your old job and ask to speak to the person who handles all the Cobra and Cigna questions and ask them.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I am so confused with this issue. Does his spoken word become law immediately?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I agree with robin. I know that certain things are supposed to go into effect before the whole law, but I don't know what dates and what parts are supposed to go into effect first.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• No, the ACA was signed by Obama in March of 2010... over 2 years ago, and in that, stated that it would start today....

http://www.hrsa.gov/womensguidelines/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• The whole bill doesn't take effect until 2014. There are parts that will start to take effect before that, but not the entire bill. If you know where the BF support is in the bill, I would recommend finding the section and page and provide the insurance company with the link or fax them a copy of it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• again, the link I posted with that last comment, states that it goes into effect today...

I loathe ill-informed people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• From your link:

Non-grandfathered plans and issuers are required to provide coverage without cost sharing consistent with these guidelines in the first plan year (in the individual market, policy year) that begins on or after August 1, 2012.  

So, when does your policy roll over into the new year?  If it rolls over today then you might have a case.  If it's supposed to roll over at the beginning of 2013, your coverage for this  may not begin until then.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2012