What else can I do?

My dd9 does not want anything to do with school , she is not a very good reader.
What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• Home school?
    tutor?
    Boarding school?
    Sylvan learning?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• I would definitely find somebody to tutor her in reading and get her caught up. That's probably the reason she doesn't like school. If I child has a bad teacher and fails to get the basics, she is in trouble for the rest of her school days. I would just find her a good tutor who can help her catch up. It probably won't take long at all!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Yes, a tutor for sure and extra time spent with her at home?? if you find this school is not a great one, I'd look into a new school that can offer her some more help too. Try to keep your child happy, positive during this hard time. GL...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Why doesn't she like school, is she being bullied, is the work too hard for her, does she need to be assessed and given a individual education plan (ied) . My daughter found her first 5 years of school hard, reading , math, comprehension were all weak, and of course if you can't spell then you can't read, and then you also comprehend poorly. First we tried to make spelling fun, take the work out of it by playing games or with words that are hard to spell create a jingle like Miss-iss-ippi. That way when a person tries to remember how to spell a certain word the jingle will co me into their head. Play a memory game.Make cards up with words that she had difficulty with on them,2 of each, mix them up and place face down, turn up two at a time and try to find the ones that match and say each word when it is turned up.Practice reading every day. After finding creative ways to learn my daughter began getting all A's.
    She now...
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 1:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Get her a tutor if you can not help her to read better. IT is key in making sense of school
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Do you read to her? Yes I know she is 9
    My children and now th grandchildren all have been read to since birth or before. The DGS is almost 12 and he and I still read back and forth and sometimes do voices or even (blush) act it out a little.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• continued... has 2 masters degrees. I worked with her every day and when she had to do a project that involved reading and compiling I helped her by paraphrasing books that she found hard to comprehend. It was a lot of work and I had 2 other kids under the age of 7. the pay off was that she learned that learning can be fun and she found the success that comes from hard work.
    If your daughter is struggling so much that learning is only work not fun then you have to participate and find the learning style that works for her to supliment what goes on at school.Meet with the school teacher and principal to determine what is the problem if they brush it off saying she'll come around don't accept it keep a close eye, listen for clues and be involved at home. When she comes home from school give her a snack and some down time, then get to the work and make it fun.
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 2:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Tell her does not get a choice to not go to school. Maybe help her learn how to read better. Make her read every day. Or get her a tutor.

Answer by louise2 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• It would be really helpful if you told her what her specific reading issues are & what you have done to help her so far. I tutor could be a great help & it's true reading skills really are the key to all other subjects in school.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• *A tutor, sorry!
    BubbaLuva