How can I get my toddler to drink milk from a sippy cup?

My daughter is 17 months old and she will not drink milk from a sippy cup! I am trying to phase out bottle but I do still give her 1 at bed because she will not drink milk (even warmed up) from a sippy cup. She will drink water, juice etc... but not milk, she will take a sip and push it away and sometimes even spits out that sip. I even completely took away the bottle for a week but gave it back because she didn't cry at all she just didn't drink any milk for a week! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

taratt79

Asked by taratt79 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont think its a sin if she misses milk for a while....but why not try some flavored milk in a really cool cup....show her that its pink....or brown or whatever flavor you choose.

Just a suggestion.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would try adding nesquick to the milk...make a big deal about it....I mean a big deal...I just took all of my daughters bottles away but she is almost 20 months...she has two different cups just because I have one that is a straw cup and one that is a regular sippy cup....I love the straw ones but the down side of them is that when whatever liquid inside warms up it creeps up the straw and then leaks out...I bought her the sippy cups that have frogs and another that has flowers...She also have older sisters so that made it easier...If she does not drink the milk from the sippy cup then if and when she asks for a bottle just do what I do correct her and tell her CUP...no more bottles...we are a big girl now...
    Worked for me....Good Luck
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 11:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• im sorry!
    my son will be two in June and he will not drink from it! he chokes every time!
    h_musick

Answer by h_musick at 11:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If she will drink other stuff from the sippy, she doesn't need the bottle. Don't phase it out, take it away. There's no reason for it. Offer ONLY milk, no juice, no water...just milk. She will start drinking it. And she won't go thirsty. Once she starts drinking milk from it...then let her have her juice and water back if you want.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My daughter is the same way!!! She will only drink milk from a bottle. We have these cups from Nuby that I got at Target/Meijer, they have a soft flexibile straw instead of a "sippy", she will drink milk from them.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 7:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Throw the bottles out, and hand her a small sized cup, with NO sippy, and let her drink it. Sippy's are just another extension of the bottle. Why start over again? She is old enough for a regular cup.
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 7:59 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I added Ovaltine, just like a spoon full, but she watches me do it so she knows its in there, then she will drink it. shes almost 3 and we still have milk drinking issues.
    Kiwi-Chickie

Answer by Kiwi-Chickie at 8:08 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Gotta disagree, used to say the same thing, "they will come around, who needs milk when you've got cheese and yogurt?" I took our 21 m/o old the bottle completely, he stayed off for 3 weeks. (No milk for 3 weeks either.) Same story, will drink anything out of a sippy EXCEPT MILK!!! By the way, every sippy known to man was tried, as well as choc and strawberry, and mixed with yogurt. NADA....not happening. Others said, No problem...DOCTOR SAID,... if he'll only drink it out of a bottle, put it in a bottle...until he's 2. He needs the full milk fat 16-24 oz of milk per day, for brain development....until he's 2. Then we can start over. He said that unless the yogurt was made with 4% milk fat, not 2% or less, and that he ate 16-24 oz of it, that it was not enough for building the brain.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I asked many times, Are you sure? Been off for 3 weeks!! Yes, he's sure. So back we went. I've never seen a kindergartner with a bottle, relax, there's no perfect answer. You know your child, do what you think is best, talk to your doctor, and don't feel like a "less than perfect" mother because your child is not off the bottle by a certain age. Kids are all different, good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Straw-style sippy cups are the best answer, IMO. We didn't have this problem with any of our kids, but a number of my friends have. I also knew a mom who decided to go the Strawberry Nesquick route, and her toddler daughter rotted out her teeth by refusing to give that cup of nasty stuff up at night. After that, I really thought twice about doing it myself. Sure, it can cure the interim issue, but when you can't break them of it without a huge amount of stress, it makes it seems like a really bad idea in the first place. Everyone drinks from a straw later in life, so why not get him practicing now? Shopping for the cups (like undies when he's potty-training!) can also be an enthusiasm booster. Good luck!
    mymadisonfamily

Answer by mymadisonfamily at 8:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2009