Autism Opinions....I do not wish to open a heated debate. Just some general opinions from other moms...

I am a first time mom and just saw a commercial that Autism affects 1 in every 150 children. I would like some opinions from other moms or words of advice from moms who have children with Autism... Here we go.

Do you believe that vax's cause autism?
At what point do you say "I think I should be worried, rather then "my baby is a little lagging on meeting milestones,"

Like I mentioned everyone is entitled to an opinion and there is no reason for a debate or "mom bashing".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, I don't believe vaccines cause Autism. My son was not vaccinated, and he has autism. He is now vaccinated, because he nearly died from a terrible case of chicken pox, and I didn't want to lose him over an unfounded fear of mine. I had him vaccinated for everything after that. My daughter was vaccinated on time, since birth, and she does not have autism.
    Anonymous

• im not a mom of a child with autism and im not gonna debate with anyone about vaccines or anything else. i am, however, a first time mom. i can tell you from my own experience that seeing commercials or talk shows that talk about children that have these issues can/will freak you out. my son is delayed due to another issue and i saw an oprah special about autism and i started looking at my son and seeing these symptoms. if you have any concerns or questions about your child or development, you should definatly speak with your childs dr. MAKE YOUR CONCERNS KNOWN!! sry i cant help anymore but i really hope this helps you.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• it's funny that people think autistic kids lag in milestones... my autistic son hit them all right on or even ahead of time.

no I do NOT believe autism is caused by vaccines. I believe it is genetic since my son's father is autistic.

I do not see why someone would risk letting their child catch a deadly disease because some women started blaming vaccines for their child's problems.

even if vaccines did cause autism, I'd still have my kids vaccinated. sorry but I can deal with autism much better than I could my child dieing from a disease I chose not to protect them from.
    Anonymous

• Every mom of a a child has a different opinion on "why" and even science has showed some children with autism do have disorders like Mito or even genetic ones like fragile X etc...that may have played a role in "why" they have autism.

For me yes, I think vaccines played a role, not caused, but triggered an immune system response. I could go on for hours why I think so, but it doesn't matter. Another mom could come along and say that is crap.

No one knows the answers KWIM ? and I do believe "autistic symptoms" are caused by many factors that depend on that particular child.

I think if a child is all around behind in skills is when you should start questioning if there is more going on. So not only are they not talking, but also not interacting or has sensory issues as well etc..

For my son too, I just had a gut feeling...and it took till age 5 to get a diagnosis because he has Asperger syndrome.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• No I do not believe vaccines are the cause of Autism because some mother's who don't vax at all have a child with Autism.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• No I Know it WAS NOT the vax, its genetic in my family.

My son didnt "lag" in milestones lol he hit everything early was a bright happy busy child who loved people he and i had full conversations it was amazing lol and then he turned 2 . then at 2 1/2 he started pacing and stopped interacting properly with people instead of saying hello he would sing the bob the builder theme song, he was fixated on trains everything he drew, talked about watched sang built i swear EVERYTHING was about trains, if he could find a way to make it about trains he did. The pacing scared me thats why I did something.

No two autistic children are alike, most signs dont show until the second year, and they are very intelligent, gifted, advanced children who reach milestones quickly, and then it just stops they still advance but not in the same ways others do.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 8:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i should have also mentioned that moms like j9mommy and i who have children with aspergers have a harder time getting a dx because while they act autistic they excell in other areas that make it hard to diagnose. In cases like mine at age 3 they said oh we think he has it then at 5 they siad oh no probably not then at age 10 i got them to finally put on paper that he had it.

If you notice your child doing something unusual and it becomes a pattern it never hurts to ask your doctor to evaluate them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 8:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think no one really knows. But I also I believe their can be many "triggers" that cause autism. For one child, they may have had it from birth regardless of food or vaccines. For another underlying autism was triggered by vaccines. For another food intolerance may have sparked it.

Who knows. My dd is 3. She is VERY bright, starting to read and sweet as pie ;) She never lagged in any skills except her speech.

Both of my children were vax'ed and I am glad.....but if I had it do do again I would research the BEST vaccines (they are made in different ways with some different ingredients) and also would follow a slower vaccination schedule. Just to be at peace with it.....so i would know that I did all I could.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I believe autism is genetic and that some children have a genetic predisposition that things like vaccines can trigger. I have cousin with Autism but showed no signs at all until after his 15 month vaccines.. so I don't know.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my fiances 18 yr old son was diagnosed with autism when he was young- but heres the thing- when he was born his mother worked while his father- my fiance- stayed home with him- he did everything a child was supposed to do- walk talk everything- but then when he turned two his mother left my fiance and took the boy away for 2 yrs while they settled things in court- and just because the boy was a little hyper she had a doc put him on ridilin at 4 yrs old- (my soon to be mother in law thinks that she found a doc that would write any prescription as long as the money was right) and that medication made him worse so she put him on other stuff and more stuff as they went along- when my fiance finally started getting visitations he said the boy wouldnt even talk right and would sit talking to himself- he never believed the boy really was autistic but the mother was set in her ways- so when the boy hit teenage yrs his mom put him in..
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009