3 year old. any advice please!!!!!!

My son is 3 and has bad little moods. If he wont get his own way he gets mad. He throws toys and food. Put in timeout and he will talk tell him he needs to be quiet for 3 mins he says "shut up". He also throws his time out chair down and kicks it. Is this a stage or what? Should I take things away like his disney cars toys which he loves so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• spank him. works on my kid
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i'd spank him, prolly with a wooden soon if he told me to shut up. and let him sit in his room
    Anonymous

• *spoon
    Anonymous

• Yes it is a stage. Yes things he loves need to be removed for a day. When he says shut up, you need to kneel down so you are at eye level with him and explain to him that it is mean to say that and it makes you said. If he is throwing his time out chair, take it away and make him sit on the floor. Any toy that gets thrown needs to be taken away and as soon as he throws food, it needs to be taken away and he can be done eating for that meal. His hunger will change his food throwing pretty quickly if you explain to him that he cant eat with you if he is going to throw his food.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 8:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have spanked him a few times but when I do I feel like the worse mother ever cuz he cries and it breaks my heart. i only tap him on the butt or the hand..
    Anonymous

• Even though you feel so bad, you have to address this now before he gets older and it gets worse. You have to let him know that it will not be tolerated. I agree totally with peppermintmocha, she is right in every way. Take those things about from him, he will learn quickly. But, be persistent.
    MedleyMom

Answer by MedleyMom at 9:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't think spanking is a good idea, it teaches our kids that it's okay to hit people when things aren't going well. I think it's a good idea to take things away from him that he loves. Take it away for an hour and if his mood continues take it for the day and then for good if it doesn't work.
    I used to tell my daughter that I was going to throw her dolls, or whatever, in the garbage. It worked for me. Good luck.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009