how do I take care of a kitten?

I realize this question may be a bit humerous to some of you but my husband just out of the blue brought me home a surprise kitten. I have no idea how to take care of one! What kind of cat food is the best( there are so many)? How do I make it use the litter box? What is a good name? To put it in short, help!!!!!!!!!!!

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pets

• okay get a potty box a box of litter try scoop away or something like it, there are kitten foods both dry or wet which ever you prefer. potty taining is easy but time consuming put baby in box and take one front paw and making a digging motion with it in the litter. if baby has accidents put the poop in the litter box not the trash this way baby will smell the poop and understand what the box is for.

give lots of pets and hugs and talk sweet get toys kittens love laser pointers and balls.

List of things to buy

Potty box, litter, scooper, food, food and water bowl, toys, collar with bell (makes finding small babys easy) if you feelt he need to give it a bed they have those for sale too lol, also walmart actually sells a kitten care book for about 5.00 on the cat aisle.

Youll also want to check into shots and getting baby fixed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• we use purina dry cat food, but i guess its which ever you prefer. cats learn really fast to use the litter box, just show her where it is often and she'll/he'll get it. names...i'll have to think of some, but for males i like tucker and samson. ours is named okey dokey (my little boy named her lol)
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 9:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• and possibly declawed if your have little ones
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I got a kitten for Christmas and I named mine Widget.....she is calico.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Need:
    Litter box and scoop
    Litter
    food bowls
    Food (I LOVED Blue Buffalo. It's a bit more pricey, but my cat's coat was always shiny, she never had dander issues, or hairballs!)
    IF you know what kind of litter she was using before, that would be great, because they can be VERY picky about their litter boxes!
    Portable crate for car trips to the vet
    some toys
    good luck!!
    Oh, and PLEASE, spay/neuter, especially if it'll be an outdoor cat. (And I really would recommend not allowing that, too many cats wind up dead. :/)
    If it's a female anyways, you'll want to spay her. They get INSANE when they go in heat, and it's every few months!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Go to a vet and seek professional advice- get felv'fiv testing and food recommnedations along with necessary vaccines and deworming.

i watched a 7 month old kitten die today due to FELV... be a good cat owner and take it to the vet.
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 11:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• and declawing is an OLD PRACTICE and is mutilation of your cats feet. 99% of declawed cats become biting cats. how would you feel if someone cut off the first knuckle of every finger and toe you had?- thats what they do
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 11:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• cats can have their nails trimmed too we trim both of ours just like the dog kittens are fun make sure the have a little bed we used a crate to keep it safe not under foot when it was tiny then we could see how much she was eatting it was a big one big enough for a litterbox
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009