Did you know congress gets 23 1/2 weeks of "vacation" ea. year?!!

http://thehappyhospitalist.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-many-weeks-of-vacation-does.html

When I heard they were about to take off for 5 weeks I thought that was excessive. But 23 1/2 weeks?! There's only 52 weeks in a year. No wonder nothing gets accomplished! How many weeks do you get? If you ask me, this needs to change! It's one of their many perks we just can't afford!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:23 AM on Aug. 2, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Do they actually get 'vacation' or do they go do work in their states? I know my Senators and Congressmen have offices in their jurisdictions.  Those offices have staff that answer phones.  

Honestly, they should go the way many states do and expect their elected officials to have other jobs to make their living.  Since this is essentially a part time job, it should pay like one.  They should only be paid an hourly sum when they are in session if they do not do work outside of the office.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2012

• I think they should all have regular jobs...our founding legislator's did. Of course, I also think they should use today's technology and do most of their work from their home states without ever going to DC. When in DC they can throw up a cot in their office or get a room in a Motel 6.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• OK.. I'm not endorsing this but I think that is so they can spend half the year actually in their own states staying connected to the people they are supposed to be serving. The majority of that time is supposed to be "working at home" vs. in DC. They don't live in DC full time so they have sessions - a time when they are all there to vote and do committee work.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Of course, I also think they should use today's technology and do most of their work from their home states without ever going to DC. When in DC they can throw up a cot in their office or get a room in a Motel 6.

That's sounds good in theory... but if you've even done committee work you'd see that you need some face to face time to really get things done. I am on a board and it's so hard and SUPER slow to get stuff accomplished when you don't get much face time. I am anti-politics... but this part I get.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• I thought everyone knew that.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Honestly, they should go the way many states do and expect their elected officials to have other jobs to make their living. Since this is essentially a part time job, it should pay like one. They should only be paid an hourly sum when they are in session if they do not do work outside of the office.
    Answer by QuinnMae a minute ago

^^^^ Exactly QuinnMae!!! And it's LONG overdue for some serioius changes!!!
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2012

• They are still working. Meeting with the citizens they represent, lobiests, fund raising, and developing new projects and bills. More I am sure. The fund raising side is astounding. Every single day of the year they are expected to bring in thousands. I was reading the representative who earns the least per hour in fund raising raises a thousand plus an hour on average each day of the year. Of course staff does this but often the elected officials fly out for fund raisers or even make personal calls begging for money. I had the impression law makers were not thrilled at all the fund raising pressure but would prefer to do more of what they were elected to do.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2012