Is it tough for you keeping food on the table?

It is for me. The economy is getting worst. Over 7,000 people are losing their jobs nation wide from Macy's. It is getting harder and harder to eat healthy. I have been taking half of my lunch and saving it for dinner. I'd like to hear form the people that are having a tough time. I'd also like to say I hope your situation gets better.

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 9:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It hasn't been because I was getting food stamps.But I just got a new job and they cut my food stamps off,so it will be hard now.
    Anonymous

• We're doing fine, but my heart goes out to all who are having a hard time. Try AngelFood to get more groceries for your money. www.angelfoodministries.com .

Anonymous

• It is very hard. It's my bf, my 2 yr old, me, and i am 33 1/2 wks preg. We scrounge up enough money tohave a meal a night. My son eats more because h doesnt' eat a lot at one time. y bf works i do not and we are not eligible for foodstamps. Even when he was laid off for a month e only got 50 for a whole month. Luckily God put us in a house with a wonderful landlord.We are 1400 in the whole and she doesn't complain. Shed rather see us eat. So things are rough and i cry a lot (even though it won't help, lol). But I know God always has my back. Good uck to everyones family!!!!
    Anonymous

• We're doing alright for now. We moved from MI to VA, and everything is more expensive here. But hubby's getting his Masters and is a Youth Pastor, so he has a paying job at least. (Couldn't find any, of course! in MI.)
    I love this blog:
    http://prudencepennywise.blogspot.com/
    She gives recipes and how much it costs to make them.
    hillbillyhousewife.com also has some frugal recipes, along with a $45 emergency menu, and $70.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i now how you feel we just got past a rough time. it was really hard for me
    an my kids. my son really
    wanted a toy race car for christmas but it was so hard to even have food on the
    table i couldnt even give him that. wich made me cry evry night thinking how sad
    it must have been for him to not get a gift this year. one night my little daughter came
    up to me and said mommy dont cry i told santa i didnt need a gift, all i want is for us to eat.
    that tor me up inside and out. we started doing things like walking to the park and riding our bikes to the beach. as for food we would only eat small portions and i tried to skip as many meals as could but frankly it didnt work so well with my health. so i shopped for the cheapest i could and found some great recpies that could fill up for a really low budgett. my husband just got a new job so were doing a lot better! goood luck and if u need some recpies let me now!
    eli29

Answer by eli29 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I know time are getting hard. I look for things that are on sales. I try not to go shopping when i'm hurgy. My children want things that are not on sale but I have to remind them or show them how much we have to shop with. I'm luck if I have $75.00 after all the bills are paid.
    Atsa123

Answer by Atsa123 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• im sory but if it is so hard then why sit online? why not get working on a little more money ? get a part time job some where
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Hey anonymous,

Maybe she does work. My hubs and I both work full time (and I put in at least 5hrs of ot each week) and we still find it difficult to keep our cupboards full. In diapers and milk alone I spend a fortune, I even tried cloth diapers, but he is too heavy a wetter for that now. I think you should keep your negativity to yourself and stop polluting this already troubled lady.
    greenfairy9

Answer by greenfairy9 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Anon-
    Everyone can't just "get up and work". Obviously if there were more options then most us us would take them. You should be thankful if you are doing well and stop hating on the people that are having a hard time. Many people are losing their jobs, it's not just b/c they don't "feel like" working. As for us, My Husband works 40+ hours a week as an EMT and it full time in school to better himself and our furture! I'm a SAHM with a two year old and I'm 32 weeks pregnant in a high risk pregnancy. Trust me, I have plenty to do. We are doing alright, times are a little hard but I'd rather let the phone bill or internet bill get behind then not have enough food. Luckily God is watching out for us and providing. Good luck to you all
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009