• In the Spotlight:

yelling to much?

I have a 2 and a 1 yr old and a rascally dog who I take care of 99.9% of the time. I get stressed and yell at my kids quite a bit lately. I feel sooo horrible but I just blow and dont know how to stop. Tonight the dog pooped on the carpet... the kids threw all their bed time snack on the floor and i just blew up. Screaming and yelling and at the end I just couldnt believe what I had done. I feel like the worst mother in the history of the world because these yelling spats happen almost everyday now. What can I do to stop myself!

Merediths_Mommy

Asked by Merediths_Mommy at 9:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• aww, we all have bad moments.
    It sounds like you really just need some me time!! Do you have an SO?? Can he watch them for awhile so you can get out by yourself? Or maybe just get a babysitter, and go to the mall, or get soem lunch or catch a movie...
    Make sure you're making time for yourself. Take a relaxing bath after they go to bed. Have some relaxing tea, read a book.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Don't feel bad you are deff not the only one! You've already taken the first step by seeing there isa problem and now your taking the second step by askng for help. You need some time by ourself. I don't know howpossible that is for you, but any amount a day or so would proabl help greatly! ummm...Isruggle withfreakouts myself so that's a i can help youith, lol. Goodluck though!And hang in there mamma!!!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i do this often as well. I also have a job where I deal with people who quite frequently talk down my intellegence which makes me want to yell and scream at them for thier rudness and ignorance. Every time I feel the urge to scream and yell I say something nice like instead of saying "AUTUMN WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING?" I take a deep breath and say "Autumn why did you throw those on the floor I know you aren't a bad girl but you did something bad now please pick them up then you are going in time out" If it gets to much and I can't deal with it I call a friend on the phone and vent to them for a few on my balcony before I deal with it so I'm not killing people or screaming.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 9:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I understand how you feel. I don't know what started my yelling. I don't do it near as much as I used to. But, I guess I just felt that I had to be louder no matter how loud they were being so that I was heard. Maybe I feel like I am not being listened to. This is a hard habit to break. It doesn't make you a bad mother or anything, just work on it. Make sure you praise your children too, they need all the good remarks we can give them.

It really does get easier and I know that sounds impossible... but, it really does. My home is quieter now.
    MedleyMom

Answer by MedleyMom at 10:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I too am a yeller that has no effect on my kids that are 9, 6, 2, and one...I swear that they are going to make my hair fall out or make it turn grey....They are on my last nerve...every little thing that they can get into or break or ruin...they do...Or it just seems that way...I do my best to try to remain calm but towards the middle of the day when they need a nap (the younger two) I start to lose it but then I noticed that they did well if I made them take a nap....So then I just tell them it is now time to nap and we will start again when you get up...two hours later or so I feel better....Also I live on a farm so I help my DH with feeding of the calves that we have and that gives me a break and a way to blow off steam...So I guess I am saying you need time for yourself otherwise you will lose it....Good Luck...I can't wait until the day that they all play together and get along
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 11:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i YELL alot and i have a 2 year old son but yelling dosnot make u a bad mom ur not hiting ur kids there is only so much u can take me and my so r liveing apart right now and i have r son so it is only me always me i find that takeing a brak and let them make a mess wall u take a brak tell ur self there makeing a mess and it can be cleaned up if u fell ur self felling like u want to yell then go in the bath room and talk ur self down but u r not a bad mom ur just not perfect and there is no such thing as a perfect mommy good luck
    r.i.proby213

Answer by r.i.proby213 at 2:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2009