what would you do if a muslim moved in?

ok so the house next to us have been for sale for 11 months. Well they just sold the house and come to find out the neighbors are muslim. She wears a head thing and he looks normal. So what would be the best thing to do? they have 4 children 2 look close in age to my kids....and I don't know if Iwant them playing with each other but I think it would also be the christian thing to do is give them a house warming gift, like cookies or something in that nature.

I don't know....i'm really confused on everything. I know I sound ignorant but I'm looking for honest opinions on this. I'm really nervous of this. from what you see on the tv, they scare the crap out of me but I know they can't all be that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OOHH- I understand how you feel, but I have to tell you I know MANY wonderful Muslim people. Their children are usually well behaved and polite and I would LOVE my kids to be around kids like that.

We get a lot of bad ideas from the media involving people hating Americans, etc. The reality is those kind of extremes are as rare as the crazy prolifers who will for some reason bomb a clinic and think that's ok. You get nuts in every group. The peaceful, wonderful Muslim who make up the rest of the group simply aren't newsworthy, and no one is going to watch those clips on youtube.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'd welcome them like any other neighbor and use the opportunity to learn about another culture/religion.
    MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 9:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Welcome them to the neighborhood with a little basket of herbal teas, maybe an inexpensive candle, and cookies or bread or something (can you tell I have made welcome baskets before? LOL The house across the road from us is a rental so I make these same baskets about 2 times a year for that house alone. LOL). Ignore the tv. We have several friends who are muslim, their culture/religion is very interesting actually. My husband was an Arabic linguist in the military so he loves talking Arabic with them too. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would send my husband over to talk to her husband, respectfully, and see if they were remotely interested in allowing their kids to associate with mine. I would hope you are not raising your children to hate, but if they think you are, it's likely they aren't sure they want their kids playing with yours.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Get to know them before you start to judge them. I would welcome them to the neighborhood.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• you cant blame every muslim person for what happened 8 or 9 years ago... get to know them, they might be the most wonderful people you ever meet
    Anonymous

• Choosing to treat someone like a terrorist because of their religion is soo many unkind words I wouldn't want to say. I hope you open up to them and their culture and their religion and let your children play with theirs. Maybe you will learn something. They are not terrorists based on their religion. and it's HORRIBLE to treat them as such.
    Anonymous

• Treat them the same way you would if a Christian family moved in. They're people. Kids are kids. I firmly believe in the statement that "Nobody's born a bigot." Don't teach your children to fear people that are different than them.
    "She wears a head thing and he looks normal." This is a horrfying statement. I know you probably didn't mean it to be horrible, but it is. You already have one thing in common with the woman...you're both mothers. Talk about your kids. That's some common ground. Take a deep breath...you might make a great friend.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• By the way, the head scarf that they wear is for modesty. A women's hair is her crowning glory. It's not really that hard to understand if you check it out a bit.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I am a muslim convert I used to be ignorant to islam also , let me tell you this though what you see on the Tv isnt islam and isnt muslims Islam has all cultures/races from all over the world. THey are normal people and from my personal eperiance anyone who has the pleasure of knowing one either converts to islam or at least finds themself defending them. Read about the relgion, Google islam, Quran, muslims family.Muslim duties to neighbor Ect .. You will be suprised at what islam really is. Muslims are very into family and we believe in God and being kind to are neighbor IS A HUGE PART OF ISLAM here is a haddith ( saying of Prophet Muhammed PBUH ) continue.....
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 10:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009