Do women that have c-sections REALLY have a harder time losing belly fat?

I have several friends and relatives that have had c-sections and some of them blame their c-section as to why they can't lose their belly after the baby! And some of my friends, one of which has had 3 c-sections has the flattest stomach that i have ever seen! So is it true or is it their excuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• i am not sure but i had a c section and i have had one hell of a time losing the belly fat
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It's just an excuse(well I think so anyway).I had a c-section both times and after my first son,I lost my belly.I lost it(or most of it) with my second son.But I gained it back when I got the Mirena.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• well i guess everyone is different because i have tried dieting and excercising and still i cannot lose it. the only way i can lose any weight is by the atkins diet, and thats a slow process
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think it's everyone's individual metabolism. My mom had two vaginal deliveries, me and my brother, and she never lost her belly fat.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It's an excuse. Losing belly fat after being pregnant is hard work doesn't matter how the child came into the world but it can be done.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• C-section is harder, because the muscles were cut.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 8:52 your muscles are cut across and they will never fully go back to normal...which sucks!!! I wish I didn't have one! :(
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Some people end up with a fat pouch due to their c-sections. I have one. I lost 70 pounds after my last birth(not a c-section) and because of my previous c-sections that pouch wouldn't go away. It's not because you don't try sometimes, it's because of the surgery itself.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It depends on your c-section. I had one and, unless I have surgery, I won't be able to get rid of it. I've been told this by a personal trainer and a Dr. The way I was cut caused damage to the way my stomach muscles are attached, so I'm always going to have a "pouch" unless I have surgery.

Now, yes, I do need to lose weight, but this has been the case since I had my c-section, even when I DIDN'T need to lose weight. But, frankly, since it's a cosmetic and not a medical problem it's not something I'm too worried about.

Keep in mind, having a c-section means you have all the stuff that goes along with a pg, and added to that, you've just had major abdominal surgery, and just like pg's, people recover differently from surgeries. C-sections combine the worst of both worlds, and some people will react and recover differently than others.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:48 AM on Feb. 4, 2009