please read

there is a new law passing about not being able to resell or donate used baby clothes anymore... that means you cannot donate it to salvation army, thrift stores.. no ebay..nothing... it passes feb 10, but you can prevent it by going to this website and signing a petition .... http://www.rallycongress.com/make-second-hand-kids-clothes-legal-/1471/save-kid-s-clothing-resale-consignment-thrift-stores-from-closing/ .....or you can message me for further details.... does anyone think this is right??

sweetmama8

Asked by sweetmama8 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I hate to tell you this, but this is kind of old news. It came up on Cafemom and I diligently wrote everyone I could think of and signed the petition.

I received responses from two senators and a house representative that assured me that this has already been taken care of. Some items will not be able to be resold, but clothing and some toys will be fine. Since I heard the exact same thing from four offices, I am sure they are right. if you want me to forward the emails to you, I will.

The law is in response to the amount of lead contained in items.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• http://www.nbcdfw.com/health/tips_info/Thrift-Stores-Exempt-From-New-Lead-Testing-Law.html
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Thats nice so then what am I supposed to do with all of the baby clothes my son has grown out of
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• y: hautemama83 read above posts. thanx lovinangels, I wrote a letter to mine as well :). Since our state was flooded, they responded via newspapers. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• this is wrong.... why are people stopping people from helping others?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i signed and sent the emails
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Juliansmommy, this post is incorrect.

First of all the law already passed. Late July of last year. Secondly, it is not going to affect the second hand industry. It goes into effect on Feb 10

There was a huge outcry. See the link I posted further up the page
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• actually op.. you forgot to read this part of the link that you posted..
    UPDATE: Our letters are making a difference! On Jan. 8th the CPSC revised its position to exclude thrift and consignment stores. Keep the heat on Congress as the CPSC rulemaking is still underway.
    see, worked yourself up for nothing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Old news. This law passed in the spring of 2008. But thrift stores and other used resellers are exempted. It is only being enforced for new items. Used stores are not allowed to sell things that have been recalled but anything else is fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009