Military women getting "coined" for breast feeding.

For those of you that don't know, usually getting "coined" means you went above and beyond the call of duty. It is recognition for being an outstanding airman (or soldier, or marine, or seaman).
I am curious how breast feeding meets those criteria. Congrats to you for breast feeding but that is not above and beyond your call of duty, nor does it make you an outstanding airmen. Does that make those of us that are unable to breast feed less valuable to the mission?
I sure as hell don't think so. All this says is that instead of pumping, you left work every 2 hours to go stick your boob in your kids mouth, when you could have easily pumped and your child would still get the same nutrients.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 6:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2012 in Military

• "No, it's really not "the same damn thing." I take it you didn't breastfeed, so you don't know the bonding that comes from it-and I don't care what people say, it's different than using a bottle."

How does breastfeeding qualify as going above and beyond the call of duty?

For the record... I am a breastfeeder, 39 months between my three boys.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Wow, I had a dirty locker room and 10 minutes when I was breastfeeding while active duty.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• I had to pump. There was no going to the CDC to feed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Sara...so much for being nicer huh?

I don't understand why they would get an award for breastfeeding... unless they were breastfeeding their superiors. Ba Dum Chhhh! :D No seriously I don't get it.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• if you have a JOB and choose to breast feed then you need to pumpend of discussion, taking time off work to feed a child is ridiculous! NOT meriting of an award or honor
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• I thought they got in trouble for doing that on camera/a picture?

Answer by louise2 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Louise the only reason those women got in trouble is because you aren't supposed to use your uniform to support a cause, which is what those women were doing. Breast feeding in uniform is perfectly acceptable.
    Sara, is it really though? Plus they get the same damn thing from pumping. I mean I don't care that these women are leaving work to breast feed, but it isn't deserving of a military award.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Really Sara you know nothing about me. In fact I did breast feed one of my children, and would have breast fed both if I could have. I understand that it is a bonding thing, but all working mothers must make a sacrifice. They chose that life. Do single dads get that time to bond with their child? No, not a chance. Breast feeding has not one damn thing to do with your career or the military so there shouldn't be a military award for it.
    Besides, I wouldn't want an award for breast feeding my daughter. How I choose to feed my kids is between me and them. I would rather get coined for something worthy of a coin, and breast feeding isn't something worthy of a commander's coin.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• I'd be interested in an article that says someone got "coined" for breastfeeding. And yeah, I didn't call her a selfish, jealous loser, now did i? And I agree, it has nothing to do with the career, but employers are legally supposed to accommodate breast feeding mothers.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Yes they are supposed to give them time to pump. Which is what most women do, not time to go to the daycare every 2 hours.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2012