Do you eat healthy when you are pregnant?

Do you eat healthy now that you are pregnant? And what do you eat? I am only a few weeks along but I am already craving hotdogs, hamburgers, meatballs, and white bread. I could eat an entire loaf of white bread by myself. How do you eat healthy when you are having cravings? The thought of eating a salad makes me want to cry, lol.

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i don't set myself up for failure. I know there are nights that I am just going to want a grilled cheese and nothing else for dinner! I try to balance that out though by eating not necessarily "healthy" but smartly the rest of the time. If you are going to eat white bread for breakfast, have some scrambled eggs too. Or yogurt or something with a little more nutritional value :) The biggest secret I think is to indulge...not OVER indulge. Have 4 or 5 oreos...not the whole bag :) Good luck
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 3:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I hate to admit it...but no, I didn't eat healthy while I was pregnant.

I only gained eight pounds though, and now six weeks postpartum I'm 21 pounds under where I was before I delivered.

If you want something sinful, go ahead and indulge :o] You're pregnant, enjoy it!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I was told to embrace my cravings,as long as it was food(not paper, ice ,salt ext. that's bad and you should talk to your doc right away if you do start to crave those things) when I first got pregnant I craved Coke, and other dark sodas the doc told me that it was fine as long as I drank it in moderation....sounds like your craving beef too so there maybe something in it that your body needs for the baby.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I craved absolutely nothing while pregnant, and I ate incredibly healthy while taking multiple supplements. I actually ate mostly vegan during my pregnancy and felt absolutely wonderful throughout. No heartburn, very little morning sickness, no constipation at all. When I did break my vegan diet is was only to eat minimal amounts of cheese and occasionally ice cream. It was a very enjoyable pregnancy and I think a lot of it as to do with the diet. I think the reason I craved nothing was because my body was getting everything it needed for baby in my diet and through my supplements. I gained a healthy 25 pounds during the pregnancy and now only one month postpartum I have already lost all of my baby weight! Good luck with your pregnancy. Try taking some more vitamins in addition to your prenatal ones, it might help curb the cravings so you can eat healthier foods.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes, I eat healthy.. I will occasionally get a gross craving, so I indulge, but over all I eat pretty good. You can eat healthier hamburgers, etc.. it doesn't have to be fast food gross stuff.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• lol . um i wouldnt say i eat perfect. i crave alot of soda. and salad. and many other things like pizza with bacon and pineapple on it. but i went to the doc and did my GD test which u do at 20 something weeks. its the glucose test. where u have to drink the stuff and then they draw blood for your sugar level. well ya the first test i did i had to drink about half the bottle of stuff they gave me and my level was too high so i had to come back and do the 3 hr test. where they make u fast , no food after midnight the night b4 then u go in take a blood test, mine was fine fasting. but then they gave me another bottle of stuff to drink , a whole bottle this time, and 1 hr later they drew blood again, it was high, so they did it 2 more times, 2 hrs apart and those numbers were fine.but they told me that i was borderline diabetic, pretty much not diabetic but needed to watch the sweets i know its hard to eat healthy but try.
    Kendra2009

Answer by Kendra2009 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I try my best to eat healthy, but of course, occasionally I want a brownie or a hamburger. When this happens, I try to go about it in a healthy way, by eating just one or two cookies or a turkey burger or burger without the sauce. I would say I eat healthily about 75% of the time. I still drink soda, but I stick to diet/caffeine free. It is sooo hard to be healthy. Yesterday I was waiting for a prescription at Walgreen's and I wanted nothing more to get some chocolate candy, but I got some cashew nuts instead (sucks). I also exercise everyday, yes everyday, to balance out what I may have eaten. If I hadn't been doing this all along, I'm sure I"d be a huge whale. But I've gained about 30 lbs. so far (35 wks.) and I started out 10 lbs. underweight. It's a daily struggle, I admit it.
    Anonymous