What do you think of Magnet Programs

My daughter got accepted to apply to a magnet program in a school far from where we live. She's been in the gifted program since second grade...and to say the least is NOT motivated. she hates it and wanted to let it expire and not return to the program in middle school next year (her first year of middle school, she's 11). (She also was accepted to 3 MEGSSS programs in 3 different shcool which she decided she doesn't want to do.) She wants to go to this magnet program because one other girl (her best friend) might be going... but I just think she'll hate it.
1.What are the real advantages? Education..college resume?
2.Is it better to get C's in a magnet program, or A's in an a.p. class or honor classes?
3.If you child is going;is he/she motivated? Do they like it? Would you make this choice again? Is it worth the gripe, if you get any?

yomamaporter

Asked by yomamaporter at 10:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If a child only want to go b/c of a friend then that is not a good enough reason. It will look good on her college resume, but only if she completes the program. If she starts and doesn't finish then it looks bad. If she isn't motivated then it isn't a good idea either. I think that it is better to get A's in an ap class vs. getting C's in a magnet class. It will affect her GPA. I went to a highschool where they offered a magnet program and they kids that weren't motivated didn't do well. I ended up in some of there classes b/c they had to take honors or ap classes. I wish you all the luck with this and hope that you can help her make the right decision.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm trying to get my grandson in the Magnet school I graduated from. Personally, it was an amazing experience for me but I was into it. They have waiting lists and they don't play with ppl who are not there to learn. They will send you home in a heartbeat and let the next person who wants to be there take your place. I am thankful every day that I got to attend such an amazing place. If she is really interested I'd encourage her. It opens up opportunities she may not get otherwise in life. I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't have passed that up for the world.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009