My DD won't play without me....help!

My 4 year old DD and I are very close. I was a single mom for the first 2 1/2 years of her life so up until 2 years ago, it was always just she and I. I didn't work for a year after she was born and after I started to work she stayed with my mom so she has always had someone giving her their full attention. I am definitely paying for it now. I'm blessed to be a teacher and be home during the summers, but I've noticed lately that my DD constantly wants me to entertain her. I've tried to set up some type of routines for our day. We have breakfast together, then she gets to pick a game or activity for us to do for 30-45 mins, then we do some school work for about 30 min., then I try to send her on her way to play by herself while I can get some things done around the house. She will go into her room for a couple of minutes and then is right up under my feet again asking me to come to her room and play with her. I try to explain that Mommy needs to get some things done and that we can have some more time to play later, but she doesn't accept that. Most of the time she will just go sit on the couch and watch t.v. until I'm done with whatever I'm doing. I hate to complain about my child wanting to play with me, because I know in a few years it will be me begging her to spend time with me. I've really neglected my other household duties though and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed trying to get caught up and keep my DD happy.

Does anyone have any tips on things I could try to encourage her to play on her own. I've even tried to get her involved in the chores...she wasn't happy with that, lol. I'll be the first one to say she's spoiled...I need help! Sorry so long!

brittcw87

Asked by brittcw87 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel your pain, Mom! My four-year-old daughter and I are very close, too, but she has the same problem of not wanting to play without me. She'll try to just sit and watch TV till I'm done with whatever is interrupting my time with her.

One thing I've found that has helped at least a little is to make sure toys are picked up, and that the parts and pieces are reasonably well sorted, so that if my daughter wants to play My Little Ponies, everything she needs is right where she can get to it. If the ponies and accessories are jumbled together with Little People, teacups and saucers, hunting for what she wants will discourage her into giving up before she starts.

Good luck! I'll be interested to see what other ideas the great moms on the site have to offer.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• Sounds like she should help you clean. Say if she wants to play right then it will be mommy games of chores. That might ease it up a bit.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:09 AM on Aug. 13, 2012