Are you a stay/work-at-home mom or work-outside-home mom?

How long do you plan on staying home?If you work outside the home how long did you get to stay home after you gave birth?

Trini

Asked by Trini at 3:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2012 in Money & Work

• in NY you get 6 weeks. i took 8 with my first dd since i had vacation time to stick at the end. with second dd i only took the 6 weeks off of work.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• We bought DD home at 3 months and I didn't go back to work until she was 6-1/2 months...then I was able to quit when she was 13 months.

I plan to stay home for the rest of my life with maybe a few exceptions here and there (when she's in college...until she has kids), but I always want to be available to drop everything for her if needed...and sometimes you can't do that if you work.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• I work outside the home. Went back to work when each kid was about 2 months old maybe, can't remember that far back.
    Heavensonfire

Answer by Heavensonfire at 7:16 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• When my kids were little I worked and had them in daycare. After the break-up of Bell Labs and AT&T I was given a package and have been a SAHM ever since. I did have a couple of part time jobs but now I'm full time SAHM. I love meeting the girls during the week for coffee or going shopping.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• I was a SAHM for 16 years, then I returned to work part time.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• I'm a work at home mom. Hopefully, I will never have to work outside the home again. When my oldest was born, I did work outside the home, and I went back to work when he was 2 months old, for a month before I quit to become a stay at home mom until after my youngest was born. Then I got divorced and had to go back to work.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• With my first son, I worked part time and so did my sister. We split kid watching duty when each other worked. I worked two days a week and she worked two days a week. It was great because family was watching the kids and her two girls and my older son are very close.
    With my younger son (they are 10 years apart) I had him at the end of May and I had the summer to bond with him. When the school year started back up, my neighbor then began watching him. She is a wonderful woman who considers him like a grandson. I couldn't ask for a better person in his life.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• I am mostly at home as a fiber artist, but I also have a small part time gig outside the house. Or I have had one for the past 3 school years. I was warned that the job might not be there this year. I'd be sad, but not too sad.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• Now- stay at home. I will probably look for something part time again out of boredom and to keep hubby happy, but he makes enough now that it isn't something I have to do
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• I am a work outside the home part-time mom. :) I went back to work on a limited schedule when my oldest was 12 weeks old. At first I worked, as a contract employee, one day a week in the office and up to 6 hours a week from home. After a few months that moved up to 2 days a week in the office and a few hours from home as needed. When my DD was born I was working on projects at home the 2nd week. It was minimal work but it was something. I went back into the office 2 days a week when she was 12 weeks old.

I worked a 2 day a week schedule until DD was in 1st grade. Once she started school full-time, I took a job at an agency I had worked at previously. I'm still part time but I do work 5 days a week. I go in when they kids go into school and I come home in time to pick them up. as far as they're concerned during the school year, I'm home with them. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2012