Who's to blame here?!

If you know someone is doing some heavy duty drugs but don't try to get them to stop & they OD & die. Not only didn't you try to stop them, you did it with them! I just found out some disturbing new things out about someone in our lives who OD'd a while ago. People very close to this person knew what he was doing, but they were doing it too. After it happened, 1 of them said "it should've been me". Now I know why! I know the person who died was an adult & has responsibility in this too. But I'm upset w/ the other 2 involved. Karma got them both already & they are in their own personal hell right now. Funny how that works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2012 in Relationships

• Well, if they were doing it with him, I doubt they were in the right frame of mind to be able to help him stop. Even if they were, he was an adult. I'm sorry that you're dealing with a loss like this, but once you're an adult, you're responsible for your own life. Yes, it would be nice if someone would offer a hand to help if they can see you need it, but no one has any obligation to do that once you're an adult.

Also, how do you know that no one tried to get him to stop? Even if these two didn't, are you sure that no one else did? Have you ever tried to get a drug addict to give up their habit? It's not a simple thing to do.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• People are responsible for themselves.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• The thing with addicts though- is that no amount of "help" from anywone will work- unless THAT person themsleves WANTS to change and does the things necessary to make it happen.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• The thing most people don't understand with addicts is that no matter how much anyone tries to help them until they want to help themselves they are always going to fall back into it. If the others were doing it with them then they were not in the right place to try to help. Accidents happen and while I am not sure from what you said most OD's are accidental not on purpose. I am sorry for your loss, but don't try to blame anyone but the person who was doing the drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• its not the other peoples fault, they didnt force them to do the drugs
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2012

• does it make a difference if that person was his only brother?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2012