Gasping for air in sleep

My son is 15 months I have noticed that he makes this high pitched sound ( like he is gasping for air) in his sleep it last 10 seconds. He did this as a little baby when he was awake. my doctor said he was probally just vocalizing. But now he does it is in his sleep. I hava a doctor appointment on Friday.(15 months check up) I am just concerned. Is it normal for 15month old to make strange sounds in sleep.

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 10:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

• wow it sounds like apnea. Let us know. That can be dangerous. If you have a tape recorder tape it for the dr to hear. I had to do that so my dr would know if a sleep study needed to be done. Sleep apnea is serious but then again it could be something else. Don't let me scare you.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My kids because of huge tonsils had sleep apnea. I'd get your peds opinion plus a resp. specialist opinion. My youngest also has asthma since infancy with a lot of resp. illnesses. Coun† backwards to see how many resp. illnesses baby's had, a resp. specialist needs to know that and pedia. reminded of it too. Colds would count even if antibiotics weren't needed. You're a good observer, baby's breathing is so scary. Sometimes I used to feel like sleeping on the floor in next to the crib to hear everything. Hope baby's ok.
    Anonymous

• Not normal, it shouldn't last 10 seconds or longer. Just be more watchful till your Dr appt. I hope everything works out.

Anonymous

• Sounds like sleep apnea, see a ear,nose throat DR. he can arrange a night at the local sleep center. Good Luck!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2009