Anyone know anything about HPV?

I got a call from the clinic saying that I had some abnormal cells meaning possible HPV. And I have been with the same man for almost 6 years, we took a 6 month break at about 3 years. But Ive been faithfull, and he swears he has too. So how come after all the paps I got when pregnant I get a abnormal one back at my 6 week check up after having the baby. Im freaking out. What could have caused this? How? If I have HPV y wouldn't they have noticed it sooner? And what if it has some effect on my baby? Please someone help. Im soo scared.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

• it shouldnt have any effect on the baby unless it is the genital warts kind, in pregnancy they tend to grow and if there is a large amount of them you might have to have a c section. This happened to me and you will live through it. If it is just abnormal cells without warts, it shouldnt have any effect on the baby, they will probably make you go for more regular paps, and if it worses they will laser your cervix , and still make you have regular paps to stay on top of it
    Anonymous

• Thank you so much. I dont know anything, all I know is that they found abnormal cells and want me to come in for some test with vinager water or something. No warts that I have ever ever noticed.
    Anonymous

• well actually they might be on the inside... and you can also test your SO by soaking a cloth in vinegar and then wrapping it around his penis for a few minutes, if any bumps turn white they are possibly warts. Talk to your doctor, but this is what my doctor told me to do to see if my SO had any and sure enough he did
    Anonymous

• I had a pap done when I was pg, and they said they had found abnormal cells also. Except my dr told me it could mean a lot of things, like cancer, etc. So I had another test done (I can't remember what it was called, sorry), and everything was fine. If they're having you in for another test, I wouldn't worry too much just yet. My dr said that this is not a rare thing to happen, having one abnormal test, but everything is fine. Just wait till you take the other test and go from there! I hope it comes out okay for you!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I do know that the kind of HPV that causes warts is not cancerous. However, there are many strains, and some of them do. 50% of the population has HPV. Sadly, if you have had sex with more than one person, you are very likely to have it in some form. Just keep getting regular paps. Cervical cancer has nearly a 100% cure rate when caught early by having regular pap smears. Don't stress! And don't think your husband has been cheating. You can have it for years and not know.
    JacesMommy627

Answer by JacesMommy627 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I dont understand how it could have taken so long to show up. I have always gotten a pap smear at least once a year, and I had at least 3 while I was pregnant. So why now would it show up?
    Anonymous

• When I was about 6 months with my second I got that call. It's not "exactly" an STD, almost any women can get it. They stick a big cotton ball up there, up against your cervix that is filled with vinegar, feels warm and uncomfortable, you have to let it sit there a few mins then the doc takes it off and looks, it makes any "warts" or anything on your cervix turn white. It will NOT harm your baby! So don't worry about that. My doc said she'd to more testing after the baby was born, b/c it CAN cause cerical cancer(I"m sure you've seen the commercial a gazillion times). Bad thing for me is my pregnancy/newborn brain forgot about it, and so did the doc, almost 3 years later and I've yet to go get tested again, now I"M nervous. But for right now, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO REALLY WORRY ABOUT. Just do the vinegar test, hear what she has to say, ask all your questions, and please, don't forget to get it checked out again after babe is born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009