2 year old girls masturbating help????

My 2 year old daughter masturbates, as disgusting as that is. I don't know how to get her to stop!!! She has never been through any kind of sexual trauma or anything like that. I heard that it's common, but I can't get it to stop. She started when she was about 1 and now she's 2 1/2. I need some serious advice here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would consult with a pediatrician. I dont think there is anything wrong with it. It's natural for kids to "check" things out. If you are upset with it I would speak to her Dr and ask her any questions that you have.
    srb32

Answer by srb32 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• teach her to do that in private, in her room. if she does it in public, discipline her how ever you do and tell her that's bad to do in public. if she does it anywhere but her room at home, take her to her room and tell her to do it there.

yes it's normal. you should not make her feel bad for doing it though since it's not bad per say, just inappropriate to do in public.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal for a child of that age to discover themselves. And she isn't doing it because it's sexual... she does it because it feels good. Don't make it into something bad or dirty because it isn't.
    Anonymous

• My niece was a masturbator as well. She started in infancy and at age 3 1/2 has just outgrown it. At one point it got so "bad" that she would actually lay on furniture such as chair legs and table corners to pleasure herself to the point of what appeared to be orgasm. At the advice of her pediatrician and a child psychologist my sister was told to try to divert her attention from the act, but never to outwardly discourage the act itself as a negative act. They said that it is pleasurable and they don't really know any better. Supposedly yelling at them, etc. leads to negative attitudes toward sexuality which will manifest later in her life. As embarassing as it was at times she just distracted her every time she started and this did seem to help. I know this isn't really a definite plan of action, but hope this helps.
    BxLuv2baMom

Answer by BxLuv2baMom at 10:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• im agreeing with the first anon answer...i just tell my 2yr old that she has to do it in her room in private...everytime she gets ahold of the shower hose in my bathroom she goes nuts!!! i dont make it a bad thing, i just try to explain that we do those things in private!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• it is normal my sister started at 2 and now she is 5 and she still dose it we call it bumping and now she dose it in her room it feally scares her and makes her cry when we started to make it into a bad thing so we let her be in her room she dosent no its sexual it just fells good so try not to make it in to a bad thing
    r.i.proby213

Answer by r.i.proby213 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Tell her to do that in private
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 8:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes....don't over react because it is completely normal. She probably does it the most when she is bored or has nothing else to do. So, keep her busy, distract her a bit, and insist that she do it in private. But it is normal....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its perfectly normal. Just tell her to do it in private and lock the door.
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2009