How much is normal for her to eat.

I am breastfeeding . How many times a day should she be eating and for how long?
She will be 1m on sat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my DD was only a month she ate every hour to 2 hours. She would nurse for about 10-15 minutes on each side. As they get older they take more at one meal and stay satisfied longer. When they are that little it seems like theyre always attached to your boob:) Good for you for breastfeeding!! My DD is 51/2 months old now and I still breastfeed and have introduced a solid food. Keep it up. They will eat until they are full, and remember if she cries for her food then you have waited too long. She will start rooting around or sucking her hand and then she is ready to eat. I learned this with mine and she has NEVER cried for food. Good luck and keep up the good work:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• up until i started my son on baby food he eat about every hour and a half. and then he ate for about 10-15 minutes
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• She has only ate 5-6 times the last few days. I am starting to get concerned. She will eat for 10-15m on each side. But she has never cried for food. As soon as she wakes up I get ready and she eats. But the problem is getting her to wake up. She is more or less sleeping through the night. She will wake up and eat for 5m and go back to sleep around 3am and that is it.
    Anonymous

• Most BF babies will eat 8-12 times in 24 hours. If baby is happy, healthy, and gaining weight, then you have nothing to worry about, no matter how many times she is eating. Check out "How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

Crying is a late sign of hunger, you shouldn't wait for baby to cry. As long as her weight gain is fine, then let her sleep through the night. You can encourage her to nurse more frequently during the day.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Some babies are quick to become efficient eaters, and require less frequent feedings. That could be the case with your baby.

Like the pp said, if she's gaining weight, happy and healthy, you have no reason to worry.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• As often and as long as she wants. My son ate constantly at that age... every 1-2 hours
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I said she never cries for food.

She gains weight fine she gained 1lb in 3wks.

I just worry because I see all these mothers say that their babies ae every 1-2hrs or 8 or more times a day.
    Anonymous

• Like I said before, she could just be an efficient eater. If you're seriously concerned, go to a lactation consultant, and they can weigh her before and after she eats to see how much she's getting per feeding (unless you have a scale that can weigh in ounces, in which case you do it yourself). A breastfed baby should be eating about 25 oz/day at one month old. So if she's able to eat 4 oz per feeding, she's fine.

Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If she gained that much there isn't a problem. A breastfed baby should eat whenever baby wants. Count dipes...it's the only way to know she's getting enough. 6-8 a day.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• On demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009