will he hate me:(

I asked my doctor today about how to get my 6 month old son to sleep in his crib. she gave me an article to follow, and it says that after he's ate and nurse and changed put him in his crib and let him cry it out. check on him every 30 minutes, but not to turn the light on or pick him up what so ever! only smile at him and rub his back or belly and then leave the room. do this until he falls asleep on his own. also if he wakes up after he falls asleep not to pick him up do the same thing, until hes slept for 7-8 hours. this is going to be so hard! but i've gotta do i just need some support, has anyone else done this. i'm waiting until he feels better because right now he has a bad cough and ear infection

havingaboy08

Asked by havingaboy08 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't let my daughter cry it out. I rock her to sleep every night. She will only be this little now. I get in every cuddle I can. She falls asleep so peacefully in mama's arms.
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• hun , he wont even remember... many moms have done this for years, and i do it for my dd at nap time
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If you don't feel right about it, don't do it. I suggest reading The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

I'd also like to point out that doctors are NOT parenting experts. Something like how to get your baby to sleep in his crib is NOT a pediatricians area of expertise.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have been cosleeping with my DD who is 5 months old and I would like to eventually put her in her crib within the next couple months. but I don't know if I agree with the CIO method. Its been shown that a little baby who cries for more than 10 minutes really hard could have brain damage. Don't know if that true or not, I just can't stand for my lil one to cry that long. But if its what you want to do then stick with it and maybe sing to him too. I would put him in a positioner so he feels a little secure when you do put him down and maybe wait for him to fall asleep. I wouldnt just stick him in his crib and leave that's kinda cruel and scary for him.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• He won't hate you. Do what you think you need to do and do it how you want to do it.
    We let my son Cry it out recently because he was getting up 6-8 times/night... he still wakes a few times but it's much better.
    The longest her has cried was 20 mins and we checked on him every 5 mins. That was the worst time. But it changed things for him right away. After that if he crys for more than 5 mins I will go to him. Usually he only cry a couple and either goes back to sleep OR crys louder, in which case I go to him and usually feed him. But you know your baby and what his needs are. It's TERRIBLE hearing your baby cry... and seconds seems like hours in the middle of the night.
    Try to soothe other ways like your DR suggested... if that doesn't work try picking him up, soothing and then putting right back down (my son will cry again but often times is calmer and will go to sleep)
    Good luck!!!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Parent your own way. Many docs don't even have kids! I told the Ped that told me that to listen to his own kid scream for 30 minutes. Turns out he didn't have any. I found a ped that does, and his advice makes SENSE. I let her cry for no more than 5 minutes, and we have a long-ish, snuggly bedtime routine. She still wakes up once a night, but only because my DH gets home at two am and I have a really loud stupid dog.

I never have to get her anymore because she doesn't want to lay down.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I did the same as AM78. I'd rock him to the point where he's about to fall asleep and then put him down. He's 3 1/2 now and thankfully, has never had sleep or going to bed issues. I miss rocking him though! :)
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I let my son cry it out, He still loves me and thinks i am the greatest thing on earth especially when i give him yogurt melts. I have actually done it both ways but i find it harder to get him to go back to bed if he wakes up in the middle of the night and i pick him up and rock him then fixing his blanket and turning his music back on. I would do what peds said but i would check every 10 to 15 mins in case the baby got suck in the crib bars or tossed the blanket out of the bed (like my 15 month old does) and screams bloody murder. I know it will be hard but you'll be fine and once they get used to it you will rarely have issues with bed time. I do hope he gets better soon!
    YamahaGoddess

Answer by YamahaGoddess at 11:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You have to do what you feel is right for you and your baby. I thought I could do the cry it out method, but it broke my heart. Now we have a bedtime routine and I rock him while giving him his bottle at the end. He knows it is time to go to bed and will go to sleep. If he wakes up when I put him down, he will roll to his side and cover himself with his blanket and go back to sleep (the cutest thing I've ever seen)...lol!
    I also think babies cry for a reason. When my son was younger I was trying the cry it out method, but now I realize he was probably crying because he was hungry again ( I was BF'ing). Now it seems like he has issues with food and is very anxious about eating. I could be wrong and overreacting, but it does make me wonder. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• let him cry for 5 mins. the lay him down, give him a binky if he takes it and tell him good night and its time to sleep and do that every five min. thats what worked for my daughter
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2009