My 1 yr old is having a hard time adjusting to daycare. Cries the whole time! HELP!!!!

My 1 yr old is extremely attached to me and started daycare this week. He has only started going for a few hours but cries hysterically the whole time. As soon as I arrive and pick him up he stops. He cries with almost everyone, even family members he is always around. I'm afraid he will get kicked out of daycare. I don't know what to do. Please help me...will he grow out of this?

Denise805

Asked by Denise805 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My answer is YES he will....My daughter was about two when we were able to leave her with family members...even the family members that she saw every day...like her grandma and uncle...If I would leave she would be fine as long as daddy was there and vice versa...Strangers were not able to look at her without her screaming...And that started from the age of 6 months until just recently that she would even talk to people outside of the people she sees every day...I would suggest that you stay at the daycare a few days,,,I know that it is not easy to say that because the reason that he is going there I am sure is important...but he needs to know that mommy is coming back and that you like the people there...interact and talk about the daycare when he is not there...maybe he will change and hopefully in a shorter time frame than my daughter did...Good luck
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 11:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• OH! Make him a picture book-put picture of him, you, dad, grandma, grandma, and you with him-holding him-playing, whatever..........just pictures to associate with-it will help calm him-or make him a play mat -poster board with pictues and laminate it for him to have at daycare. It worked for my freind and her son.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• yes a feel better book will help my son was like this ( i am a day care teacher ) they dont cry the whole day they may cry a lot but we can distract them and get them to sleep everything will be fine.
    BebaGina

Answer by BebaGina at 9:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well it all depends....does he go consistently? how many times a week? how many hours? If he is going on a regular basis more than 1 day a week he should get used to it rather quickly. But if it's inconsistent and only a little bit at a time it's going to take a long time. However your daycare should not punish you for that ...that is redic.

MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009