• In the Spotlight:

Question for Muslims.

Yes, I know not all Muslims are extremists but I have a question I'd like someone to go more in depth about it. The suicide bombers. Why do they think if they kill themselves they will get to be with 47 virgins in heaven? (I think it's 47) and do YOU believe that? Also, where did that belief come from? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its 72 virgins.

To relate it to something you probably are more familiar with... Surah 55 (a Surah in the Koran is akin to a book of the Bible) is basically the Muslim version of the discription of Heaven in the Bible (similar to Revalations 21), and the 72 virgins idea comes from a 14th century Islamic scholar's commentary/interpretation on that particular part of the Koran.

Suicide is actually prohibiteed according to the Koran, as is the killing of non-combatants. The Koran also advocates kindness to non-hostile unbelievers.

Suicide bombers are not following the Koran. They are following their own twisted and preverse interpretation of the Koran, and what it means to be a martyr...they are kind of like the Westboro Baptist Church of Islam in their interpretation of their holy text.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I personally dont believe that...I was a born and raised Muslim.... I just follow my heart and believe that if your heart is clean and live a God loving life you will get where you need to go. As far as the virgin thing...If you belive it good for you,I dont.
    Anonymous

• I think its 74 isn't it?
    Anonymous

• hello, i'm not muslim, my husband is but the majority of them do not believe this! no idea where this idea came from. maybe from the sick indviduals that recruit people to carryout "missions" in the name of god. maybe the "recruiters" use this to entice others to become suicide bombers. but honestly if u think about the MILLIONS of muslims around the world the majority are not terrorists nor do they support terrorism. there is a passage in the quoran that i believe says sumthing like... that those do good/the believers will have companions in paradise, don't quote me on this, but maybe this is where people have gotten this idea.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2009