Too Prideful?

Things have gotten really tough financially lately. I been struggling with facing the fact that I may need to seek government help (foodstamps). I grew up in a family on foodstamps and I dread the idea. I am very frugal and I believe in hard work, but in reality we could probably use some help. Should I suck it up and apply for help or wait it out and see how things go?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2012 in Money & Work

• Could your family benefit from 6 months of assistance?
    Then do it.

Answer by feralxat at 9:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2012

• If you qualify, why not get the assistance until you are able to get back on your feet. There's no shame in needing help in this economy. You are definitely not alone. GL

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2012

• ^^ what mrsmomm said.

Answer by DJDNY at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2012

• Times are incredibly hard for so many people. You're not alone in this. I think you should allow yourself six months or so on food assistance and then revisit the idea when that time is up. It may just be the helping hand you need for a short period of time

Answer by gaelara at 9:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2012

• If your ability to feed your children is at risk, just apply.

Answer by SWasson at 9:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2012

• I agree with the moms above. I hope things get better for you.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2012

• Times are tough for so many right now. Situations such as yours are exactly the purpose of public assistance. It is meant to be temporary assistance for those facing financial hardships due to circumstance beyond their control.

Answer by bnt2000 at 3:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Times are tough, and sometimes we need to put aside our pride and put our families needs first. I remember when I was little, my dad's company was on strike for 6 mo (mom was a SAHM) so there was no $ coming in, and the cabinets were quite empty of food. My dad was raised with the belief that you work hard to support your family yourself and not live on 'the system'. He saw how tough things were, and having 2 kids to feed he swallowed his pride and accepted hand-outs from local organizations until the strike ended and he was able to provide for us again.
    So if you are having a hard time feeding your family, then I see no shame in applying for aid to help you get thru this rough patch until you are able to get back on your feet financially again.

Answer by MizLee at 9:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Do what you need too, but also work hard to get back on track.

Answer by mto3821 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• go to and see what you qualify for. There is no shame in temporary assistance that is what it is there for. The shame should be reserved for those who make it a lifestyle. Call 211 and check for food pantries that have cleaning products and paper towels etc. Also look into help with your utilities. Good luck.

Answer by booklover545 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2012