Have you had the flu yet this year?

I get it almost every year...never fails, lol. Last year was the worst I've EVER had it my entire life. I felt like I was dying!!!

Is this years strain as bad? (I think there's always a few different strains each year, right?) I'm really hoping and praying my household can escape it this year.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

• nope.e but i work at a Dr;s office.. it;s not nearly as bad this year as it was last year!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Nope. I've never had the flu and never had a flu shot either.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Momof3inTN....You're serious? What's your secret, lol! I think I had it the previous few years because I worked with children in daycare centers and then my kids were in preschool with lots of other germy kids. This year is our first year homeschooling and I'm hoping we get lucky. We do basic hygeine stuff....what's the secret? Is it the diet?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• hand sanitizer...
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:02 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• ReneeK3: My kids are homeschooled too but we are always around people (homeschool groups, church, activities, etc). We eat a lot of vitamin C rich food (oranges are my kids' favorite), take a daily multi-vitamin (with Vitamin C, mine also have added Iron because of anemia), I drink echinacea tea every other evening, carry around a travel bottle of Purell and disinfect the shopping carts with Lysol wipes (our grocery store just started providing these at the entrance, I used to bring them in a ziploc baggie with me), and sleep (I try for 7-8 hours a night).

I have had colds before (who hasn't? LOL) but my kids and I have never had the flu. My husband had the flu last year but the kids and I never got it (of course he also doesn't drink tea, take a multi-vitamin or disinfect like I do, LOL).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh, diet. sorry! Missed that one. We do not eat a lot of red meat either, some chicken and fish (Omega-3's are great for skin and hair and concentration for kids), a lot of vegetarian meals. I grew up vegetarian but since getting married have added in chicken and fish (we still eat dairy products and eggs). But we only have beef about once a week at the most. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I got the flu for the first time this year, and it sucked! I thought I was dying!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 12:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my best friend' ENTIRE family- her, dh, 10yo, 5yo twins- all have the flu now and it is awful. on kids has been back and forth out of the ER... her mom moved in for a few weeks to help out. i had it once when i was in college and, at teh time, i woudl have rather been dead. :) never agin like that though, thank god.
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 1:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• u must have kids in daycare or be a teacher to have the flu all the time!!! this year just started and thank God I havent gotten sick. Its rare when I get the flu at the most i'll get it is once a year I guess because I have a strong immune system since i'm a SAHM:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well the year just started but No thank God I haven't gotten sick.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2009