4yr old son's sibling rivalry over a 4 month old baby girl

i really need help w this one my son is add and it is hard to entertain both when they are so different.

krystaloolala

Asked by krystaloolala at 11:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• my 1st 2 are now 21 and 17....
    When my oldest was 4 yrs old she had ADHD and when her sister was born she was NOT happy! She even tried to smother her! It wasn't until baby no. 2 starting crawling and babbling that my 1st born really started to like her. Hang in there it will get better!
    Just keep spending equal amounts of time and have seperate bedtime story/routine..that always helped!
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• When my dd was born we bought our ds a baby doll of his own, along with the "stuff" to go with it. We made a big deal about how he could take care of "his baby" while we took care of his sister.

I know some people thought it would make him a "sissy", but that was crap. He was the "Daddy", and whenever I fed his sister, he could feed his baby, pretend to change the diaper, etc.
    It really helped a LOT. Now he's 16 and very "macho" but is also extremely gentle with little kids (lol he was embarrassed to have people know he babysits and does mentoring with younger kids and stuff, until his gf re-assured him it really is sweet LOL). Plus, he wasn't as jealous of our dd. I think the doll helped with all this.

I also made a HUGE deal about letting him help with the new baby, about how I couldn't do it without him getting me a diaper, bringing me a blanket, etc.

I also made special "big kid time" just for him and I.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:08 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh, btw my ds is also ADHD, and this stuff did help :-) Good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

• Just include him as much as you can with all the daily stuff and if you can make sure to have special alone time with him. Take just him to the park or Mc D's or his favorite place. I have 5 and at one point there were 4 under the age of 4 so we make sure that they all get alone time with us. Even if it's just going to the store. Good luck!
    fivepack

Answer by fivepack at 8:02 AM on Feb. 4, 2009