pack-rat fever

I am SUCH a pack-rat! DH and I have seriously discussed not having anymore children, but would like to keep our options open. So we decided not to get rid of ALL of our baby stuff, but I know IF we have another I will want to get SOME new/used things that are geared towards THAT child. So instead of having an attic full of toys I figured I'd sell some of my son's that he doesn't use and get him some new ones. BUT ....A) I always wonder..what if I get rid of this and wish I had it later. B) I know I will not get close to the amount of money I bought it for new and probably not even the amount I want for it. My brain goes on and on. What do you do? I started buying used toys now that he's older and doesn't put things in his mouth really, but I can't get myself to SELL stuff! Do you???

Carri2362

Asked by Carri2362 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm planning on passing mine on to relatives. This one will be my one and only, so I know I won't need it anymore. If you did the same, maybe they'd pass it back to you if you do have another child.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• oh that is such a great idea...I even have a niece due in march, but we are military and live about 16 hours away from family UGH! Dangit I wish I could do that. I will definately keep it in mind though since we may go home for a visit this year
    Carri2362

Answer by Carri2362 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i have a lot of really close friends.. and we pass everything around.. put initials on it so when the other one is done it can get passed on.. and returned to the owner when that person is done..( if they want it back) . it's great and SO much fun i have a 6 month old.. he's the youngest.. and he has SO many toys/ clothes it's so wonderful , i haven't really had to buy him much!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 12:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My cousin lives in Idaho (she's Air Force) and I live in Michigan, and she sent me a big box of stuff. Shipping isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than buying all new. :)
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:08 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We have a local yardsales site and I sell on there ALL the time. I hate clutter! Have you thought of doing a swap with some other mommies? Get all your stuff together you don't want and swap it out for things the other mommies don't want anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I take mine to a 2nd hand store, and get credit in the store.
    Kiwi-Chickie

Answer by Kiwi-Chickie at 8:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't keep anything I don't need. I let it go to bless another family. Heirloom items such as cribs, etc. should be saved but other than that, I let it go. You can check out www.flylady.net for more info on how to organize what you need to and get rid of what you don't.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 10:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'm no help because I kept all of Juliana's toys from when she was a baby and now Jacob is playing with them... I'm sure I won't get rid of them again since we plan to have atleast one more... I am a pack rat too!
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 1:35 AM on May. 11, 2009