My boyfriend of 2 years was joking around...

and while helping me buckle my ski boots this weekend he bent down on one knee and said "we've been together for 2 years now and (then pretended to reach in his pocket for a ring) and then laughed and I laughed back and he proceeded to buckle my boots. We've never discussed marriage yet but we get along really well. But I thought about it later and felt that he was mocking the idea of proposing. Should I have gotten mad? Was he insulting me or the idea of marrying me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• seems like he wants a reaction out of you, maybe its time you talk marriage?
    Lauren2008

Answer by Lauren2008 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No...you cant get mad at it now..it past already and you had laughed it off.. He obviously was joking so dont stress the little things. Leave as it was intended AS A JOKE...Dont worry about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• If you havent talked about it yet...then "I" personally think this was his way of telling you he wants to talk about it...and that is wants to know your opinion on the matter with out running the risk of objection...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Perhaps he was looking for what your reaction might be. Maybe it is crossing his mind...or maybe he was just being a guy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh, he's male and he's joking around about marriage. Then he's comfortable with the idea. If he wasn't, he would be doing the exact opposite, like pretending to run. lol.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 12:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think he was being cute...and fishing for you to continue talking on the subject of marriage. Think about it....he buckled your boots...a very accommodating gesture.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think he was playing. But he may have been testing the waters. You could say...hey about that thing...Yes. (or no) that will give him an idea that you are receptive to it. I remember my dh doing that...like saying, hey we should get married. I said, yea we should. Three months later he "proposed" properly.
    Don't get mad. I think it was all in nervous fun on his part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My hubby always "mentioned" marriage, until I started responding in a positive way. Not much longer, he proposed and a few months later, we were Mr. and Mrs. So maybe he's waiting for positive feedback from you. Next time, do just that.
    TeenieWeenie

Answer by TeenieWeenie at 2:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i think he might be just joking and at the same time hinting he wants to talk about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My now husband and I had been dating for about 3 months when we were just chatting in the car one day, and I said "IF we were to get married....." and he jumped in and said "WHEN we get married..."

Granted we were 31 and 37 at the time...so we weren't about to waste time dating indefinitely, but it still sent the good chills up my spine!! :o)

Maybe you could broach the subject again using "hypothetical" situations and see how he reacts or responds?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2009