HPV and babies???

I just had a baby a few months ago, and got a call about low grade abnormal cells from my pap, most likely meaning HPV, and I have an apointment in march to go back in. But im freaking out, could this hurt or affect my baby in any way?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Health

• I don't think so. They run those tests during your early pregnancy, and would have told you then. Plus, within seconds of a baby's birth, they put ointment in the baby's eyes to prevent infection. Your little one should be ok.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• There is a possibility that you can pass HPV to the baby during delivery.

Discuss it with your doctor at your next check up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• If you do have HPV and it is active they may make you deliver by c section. Many times mothers with HPV deliver vaginally end up with kids with HPV in their throat causing tons of problems. Putting ointment in the baby's eyes to prevent infection does nothing for that. Now it is possible if they are calling it "Low grade HPV" that they can go in remove the cells  and you'll be in the clear and it won't have any bearing on delivery or the birth at all. Only the drs can really tell you in your case what will happen. I had an abnormal pap the proceedure to remove some cells and delivered vaginally just fine and never had an abnormal pap again. It wasn't HPV just a few abnormal cells and they didn't know why. They have to do further testing to find out anything.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 1:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The ointment only helps with Gonoreah and Chlamydia. Nothing else. HPV shouldn't hurt your baby and even if they do catch it they generally get over it on thier own. IN very rare cases it can cause issues. That said, I've had HPV for years and 4 vaginal births since I've had it. Two of my babies never got those eye drops(I declined them) and none of them have had a problem.
    Anonymous

• My 2 yr old actually has a wart on her down under parts and her dermatologist said it was from HPV she got it when i gave birth and i didnt know i had it then . But i was told even having a c-section wont save them posibbly from getting hpv.

Proud_mommy531

Answer by Proud_mommy531 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2009