Does this sound like the wrong book to you???

This is the class I am enrolled in:
U.S. History, 1607-1877

This is the required text:
Taking Sides: Clashing Views in United States History, Volume 2: Reconstruction to the Present

I'm no History major but something seems off...
I emailed the professor but he hasn't replied. I like to have the book for the first day of class but I think I'll hold off on this one.

What do you think?

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 12:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2012 in

• That does seem like a better choice. (at least to me) but It also depends on the teachers lesson plan. Hopefully eh'll get back to you before the semester starts
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• It does sound like the wrong book. Can you buy it and return it if it is the wrong book?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• No. It goes from the First permanent settlement of Jamestown all the way through the Civil war. There were a LOT of clashing views that helped form our Government and Constitution. All teh way down to the Civil War and the Emancipation Proclimation.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• The book just covers controversial topics in a Debate style. which can be applied to any time period. Though I might be concerned if there is no other text that is required as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• You'll more than likely focus on the Reconstruction Era section of the book Going from about 1863-1877. Teh professor likely teaches the next HIstory class as well and prefers to use the same book. So anything BEFORE the reconstruction era will be notes from power points/etc. In either case the professor SHOULD get back to you before the beginning of class.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Another option is seeing if you know anyone who has taken the class before to ensure you have the right book as well. As it IS possible the Bookstore may have made a mistake when putting out the booklist and the books given are for the next segment if you are concerned about it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• This is a hybrid class, mostly on-line,

In that case it probably IS the right book and there will be a LOT of websites included in the "lectures" for you to visit.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• @robin - I get my texts from Amazon so I believe I would lose a lot of money if I were to return it.

@kristi - so, you are saying it is correct? The dates are throwing me off since 1877 is not the present.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• @kristi - nothing else is listed as of yet. Class starts 8/20. Maybe I'll just wait to see if another book is added or perhaps he'll tell us during the first day. That happened in Sociology a couple semesters ago. We were so excited that the one text listed was only like $15 bucks! Then we get to class and she tells us our actual textbook is like $150. lol
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• I hope so! Thanks Kristi.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2012