How could I make the ears stand up if I crocheted a Shrek hat?

Any ideas? I was thinking of making them real short so they won't hang, but don't really like the idea. Proportions got to be right

.

Pucki

Asked by Pucki at 4:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Hmmm. Would it work to make the ears' undersides longer so the top sides pull them up?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• make the 'base' a tube and stuff it with cotton or use pipe cleaners.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• I was going to say pipe cleaners. I have no clue how that would actually work though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Shame I don't have any green yarn right now. Otherwise I'd start right away.
    I guess I'm just going to try what you guys said and see how it goes. Will post some pics then. :-)
    Pucki

Comment by Pucki (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• stuff with pillow foam you can cut to fit the shape, I would also sew in a base such as a button to make them stand up,, how cute is this going to be???
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• I can't wait to see the pics!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Stitch the stem part by making a full square. Roll that up so it makes a solid cylinder. Baste the long seam so the cylinder stays closed. Cast on a row of single crochets to the outer edge of one end of the cylinder, then build up from there to make the ear shape.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Somehow I missed the notification for you answer, NotPanicking. -Anyway, I'm proud to say I finished the hat tonight! It looks nice. The ears stand just like that. No pipe cleaners or anything. Will post pictured tomorrow (hopefully with dd wearing it. lol). It's waaaaay too late now.
    Pucki

Comment by Pucki (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2012