Any tips? ADHD

To make a long story short, there was a change in my children's insurance and now the meds they take for their ADHD are not covered unless the doc does a prior authorization, which I called to ask him to do and basically got the attitude from his nurse that what I was asking was a huge inconvenience and never heard back from them. I cannot afford to pay for the meds myself.

Ok, so, moving on...I've been toying with the idea that my oldest might be ready to get off the meds anyway. Because I can't get the rx filled right now, they did not have their meds this morning. They are hungry, which they NEVER are when they take the meds - huge plus. Behavior - slightly more hyper and wild than on the med, but not something I cannot handle.

The main reason they went on meds to begin with was school - my oldest was on the verge of suspension so I felt I had no choice. But we now homeschool, which gives me more freedom in how school is handled, since I can take them out to burn off energy if they can't focus.

Since the doctor isn't leaving me much choice anyway, I'm thinking that taking them off their meds might be a really good idea. We already have other measures in place to help control their behavior and calm them down, but I'm just wondering if any other moms who don't use meds (or have taken their kids off the meds) have any tips to help make the process smoother or for keeping home life normal once we stop the meds.

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 5:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2012 in Kids' Health

• layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• My son has ADD. He discovered this: http://tea-for-two.blogspot.com/2007/10/tea-treatment-for-attention-deficit.html

We have run a few tests and it seems to work.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Thanks, ladies! Feral, I was particularly intrigued by what you posted. I'm not sure I can convince them to drink green tea (we're not tea drinkers, although I do drink green tea with mint). But I like how natural it is, and so easy. I think I'm going to try it.
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• http://www.feingold.org/

the elimination part of diet.. .
    http://www.feingold.org/overview.php

take out

• Artificial (synthetic) coloring

• Artificial (synthetic) flavoring

• Aspartame (Nutrasweet, an artificial sweetener) ...i take out ALL fake sweeteners

• Artificial (synthetic) preservatives BHA, BHT, TBHQ ... i take out MSG too

• ....I take out nitrates too

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• fiat, I've already eliminated all of that. That was actually my first step, along with fish oil before I ever put them on meds. The meds were literally my last resort when my oldest was verging on suspension. So that much is already done. I have never actually done the Feingold diet, but I think I'll look into it. Thanks!
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• the feingold elimination diet is those chemicals
    but could try GFCF

sorry i was not helpful, but the other links i am checking into
    mine has moderate autism, she just turned 5, hoping not to place on meds, or at least not until i get full time therapists in home to monitor how she is on meds, we already talked (autism doc and i) that when her number comes up on the federal list and therapists in home 25-30 hours a week, we will try melatonin (sp?)
    now i have other supplements frolm these links to add to the try it list

thanks ladies
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• I took my son off of the mess he was on. He always had trouble sleeping g and eating and when it boiled down to it, they NEVER worked. I hated having him on them anyway because it felt like the teachers just want robots. I too had to stop buying them because of financial reasons but the main reason was because I was tired of drugging him. And I never really wanted to anyway. I have been trying to change his diet and cut back on the sugars. I might look into those supplements as well.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Both my kids are ADHD and we need pre-authorization for their meds. Most insurance co. require it now and doctors are aware of it. He or his staff just don't want to do the work required. You need to push them or find another doctor. My son is on Vyvanse and my dd is on Concerta. They take it all year long. We've tried taking them off it but they just get worse. We've seen no side affects from these meds. My dd started on Aderall at age 6 and had every single side affect. we took her off it and let her clean up before starting her on concerta, which worked.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2012

• Robin, we hadn't needed it until this. There was a switch made and they told us that "Everything would stay the same as it currently is." Then when I went to get it filled, they tell me insurance is refusing it, so I come home and start digging and find it's not covered. When I call, they tell me about the prior auth. I am switching their doctor, because this really pisses me off that they're acting like I'm inconveniencing them. But I think I am going to talk to the new doctor, too, about taking them off of it. They seem to be doing pretty well yesterday and today, so I'm going to give it a couple more days, since we have some different activities/events coming up that will help me see if it's just a fluke or if they really can handle it.
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2012