Is this fish oil that's in the vitamin isle for humans the same fish oil I should give my dog?

Or is there a different kind? And anyone know how much fish oil I should give her?

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2012 in Pets

• Don't give anything from the people medicine aisle without your vet telling you to do so. Usually there are pet-specific formulations of medicines, which you can find at PetSmart/Petco and the like.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• They sell a fish oil for dogs but I'm pretty sure its the same as what is sold for humans. Ask your vet how much to give her, its all going to be based on her weight.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• You can buy fish oil specifically for dogs but basically it's the same thing as the fish oil tor humans but at a higher price.
    How large is your dog? This will determine the appropriate dose.
    For large dogs the general recommended doseage is 1500 Mg. Softgel. (Dogs weighing 20lbs or more)
    If your using human fish oil gel caps, just puncture the gel cap (2) and squeeze over food.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• She's a german shepherd. She only weighs about sixty pounds and I'm trying to get her to gain weight so someone suggested the fish oil. I haven't found a vet for her yet.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Don't give her anything without seeing a vet first. I'd suggest finding one asap.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Sara, google fish oil for dogs. There's an excellent site that explains the pros and cons of using fish oil. I never considered the TYPE of fish you'd be getting the oil from. Such as Salmon could have too much mercury...
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Go to a regular pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. They should be able to let you know if it is ok for dogs. If not, they'll tell you where to get fish oil for dogs.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• My dogs who are about 60 & 70 lbs each get a fish oil capsule (the same that I take) *with their Vet's approval- I break them open & put the oil on bread or you can mix it in their food.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Look for dog food that has protein as the first main ingredient (I'll give you a clue, it isn't the major brand names). IDK about the fish oil.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2012