Is this bad/unsafe or something else? adult content

daughter is 6 years 2 months. Totally healthy, athletic, playful, sporty, awesome.

She poops... a lot. And somehow (not sure how) it became a joke for her to poop on command. I think it was about a month ago she'd pooped 3x in one day and at the MOST inconvenient times. I joked that if she pooped before bed (to ensure she'd be down for the night and not getting up a million times) I'd give her a dollar. And she did. On command, immediately. A perfectly formed poop. And now she does it often, no longer for cash (as we put the stop to that) but to prove her point or shock/awe us all.

Considered calling pediatrician but.... ehhh... Is this a physical or mental thing? If we ignore it will it disappear like all weird phases do?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2012 in Kids' Health

• After a bit of research- it seems that if the child isn't in distress an examination of diet is suggested.
    A very healthy diet with plenty of fruits/ veggies/ fiber etc. and exercise will make her go.
    It seems she just has an effective system.
    Congrats and standard medical disclaimer :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• My niece can do it, too. She is 18 and has been able to do it for a while, with no negative side effects. Don't worry.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• As long as it's not falling out when she walks, I'd not worry about it. Mention at the next appt.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• nah! let her poop. my 4 yr old poops alot too. but if she is doing it on command she may be holding it.. ask her if she is holding it though. that is not good.
    I poop alot too :/
    ajrjj05

Answer by ajrjj05 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• LOL! I wish my dau could do that. She has the opposite problem, so when she does go, she could put most men to shame! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Ugh. Life as a mom.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• I'd only be worried if she's straining to force it out. If she sits and it slides right out as it's supposed to each and every time, no worries, but if she's forcing herself to poop she needs a talking to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2012

• Anything from 3 times per day to 3 times per week is normal.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2012